Question / Help "display source" goes invisible and i have to reboot obs .

zackmatic99

https://obsproject.com/logs/U5pnkkhSg7VCwx4Q

like i said, everything works perfect, but then sometimes my display capture sources will just disappear/turn invisible.. cant figure out why. then i reboot OBS, and its solved.. this would be no problem, except sometimes i am in a broadcast and have to end my stream just to reboot OBS and half my viewers disappear. not pro.
i am not using a laptop.

one thing that definitely causes it, sometimes i want to switch from PS4 to a PC game, and so for my second display i switch out the PS4 hdmi, and plug it into my computer as the 2nd display.. then my display sources turn invisible. i know that is not the only thing that causes it though because this has also happened if my PC goes to 'sleep', and theres been one other time it happened which idont know why........

koala

You need and should have exactly one monitor capture source over all your scenes. If you need it in more than one scene like in your setup, add the additional captures with "add existing" and not with "Create new". This way, you add references to the one monitor capture instead of adding duplicates. The duplicates in your current setup stomp all on each other and compete against themselves.
This is true for every source type. Don't add capture sources for the same thing twice. Add it with "add existing" if you need multiple sources of the same thing.

zackmatic99

You need and should have exactly one monitor capture source over all your scenes. If you need it in more than one scene like in your setup, add the additional captures with "add existing" and not with "Create new". This way, you add references to the one monitor capture instead of adding duplicates. The duplicates in your current setup stomp all on each other and compete against themselves.
This is true for every source type. Don't add capture sources for the same thing twice. Add it with "add existing" if you need multiple sources of the same thing.

thanks for your response. the issue with that, is that i crop different portions of the display for different elements of the overlay. so for example ill put a youtube video in one corner, and something else in the other corner. using multiple display sources gives me more creative power, because anything i can put on my screen i can crop as a stream element. is there a way to optimize it or anything? because it works for hours sometimes and then randomly fails

koala

Each reference to an existing source can be cropped and resized separately, just as an independent source. Every time you add a reference, you get the full source and can crop out a different part of it. Only filters are common to all references of the same source.

There may be other scene design aspects you overlooked until now that may help you to build a scene design easy and efficiently without the need to duplicate source stuff:
- you can group sources, so if you add a group to a scene, you add each source (new in current version 22.0.1)
- you can add a scene as a source (the "old" version of source grouping, has always the full canvas size)

zackmatic99

when i use "ADD EXISTING" it sticks me with the same crop. can i use add existing, but have a different crop in each instance?

isnt "crop" a filter? can i use a different filter in multiple instances of the same capture?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Use alt-cropping or transform cropping instead of the crop filter. Filters are globally applied to all instances of a source.

koala

I don't know what you tried, but to verify what I was going to write, I took OBS and added a monitor capture to a scene. I cropped some random window out of it, so it was very small now.
Then I added a new scene and added a monitor capture with "add existing". The full monitor was added. I cropped a different window from of it. Then I added another monitor capture with "add existing" to that scene. Again, the full monitor was added. I cropped the Windows task bar from it and moved it into the middle. I switched to the previous scene and the small window from my first crop was still there. I switched back and got my scene with the second window and the task bar floating in the middle.

Did I misunderstand you and you wanted to do something different?

I cropped by holding the ALT key and moving the circular cropping point markers on the borders of the source. The border color for such a cropped border changed from red to green (the cropping point color remains at red).

Edit: I didn't use the crop/pad filter. I manipulated the source directly on the OBS preview, not in some property or filter window.

Last edited:

zackmatic99

I don't know what you tried, but to verify what I was going to write, I took OBS and added a monitor capture to a scene. I cropped some random window out of it, so it was very small now.
Then I added a new scene and added a monitor capture with "add existing". The full monitor was added. I cropped a different window from of it. Then I added another monitor capture with "add existing" to that scene. Again, the full monitor was added. I cropped the Windows task bar from it and moved it into the middle. I switched to the previous scene and the small window from my first crop was still there. I switched back and got my scene with the second window and the task bar floating in the middle.

I cropped by holding the ALT key and moving the circular cropping point markers on the borders of the source. The border color for such a cropped border changed from red to green (the cropping point color remains at red).

Edit: I didn't use the crop/pad filter. I manipulated the source directly on the OBS preview, not in some property or filter window.

thank you i didnt know about this ALT key version of crop. i was using the filter version of it. i will test this later today

zackmatic99

ok i figured it out.. only thing now is to see if the disappear glitch still happens in the future.. thanks for your comments! im adding 16 more gigs of ram next week too so that might help too, not sure if it was anything to do with that though.

zackmatic99

So im sure that tip optimized things a bit. but the main problem still happens. the source randomly turns invisible. if im playing ps4 and my desktop goes to sleep for a second then comes back, the display source is gone.. if i unplug my second monitor to plug something else in, display source is gone. and theres something else that triggers it too which i havent figured out yet.

made another log for this one... https://obsproject.com/logs/Y5U-_8T86QFKbKx1

zackmatic99

ALSO. if i turn on my PS4, the OBS will tell me theres NO SIGNAL from the el gato, until i reboot it.. is there a way to just refresh a source, or reset a source? do i have to reboot obs anytime i want to turn on a system and start playing. i love the software but it screws me up when i have to end my broadcast and restart it all the time.

Suslik V

You shouldn't switch the hardware on the fly. Disable power saving option for your PC. And buy one more display...

Also, the log says that you didn't follow the recommendations and still using crop/pad filter for many instances of single display device instead of alternate cropping and one instance which is just cloned to many sources via Add existing option (or copy and paste as reference).