Bug Report Display Capture: Show Cursor input lag

directmusic

Hello,
A couple years ago I posted about this issue I was having regarding mouse cursor input lag, but I apologize as I failed to follow up.

I notice on macOS whenever I am using the Display Capture plugin with Show Cursor checked my mouse feels sluggish as if it has a few extra ms of latency. This occurs whether or not the preview window in OBS is on or off. To test this I wrote a Hammerspoon script to draw a circle at the mouse cursor position every frame. and from what I can tell when Show Cursor is on the mouse cursor is only updated every frame rather than at a higher polling rate.
Here is a video of it occurring. When Show Cursor is selected it the shape I am drawing every frame is very close to the macOS cursor, but when it is off the mouse cursor is far ahead of the shape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWt2cAa66_E

I tried recording this with Mojave's screen record but it seems they fake the cursor only in the recording. So while recording an example it looked fine on screen, but after viewing the recorded video it looked identical each time.

I've included the hammerspoon config that demonstrates the latency if it is helpful.

Code:
local firstPos = hs.mouse.getAbsolutePosition()
local cursorWidth = 14
local cursorHeight = 21
foo = hs.drawing.circle(hs.geometry.rect(firstPos.x-4, firstPos.y-4, cursorWidth, cursorHeight))

function updatePos()
    local mousePos = hs.mouse.getAbsolutePosition()
    foo:setTopLeft(hs.geometry.rect(mousePos.x-2, mousePos.y-4))
end
hs.timer.doEvery(0.0166666, updatePos)
foo:show()
numberOfCursors = numberOfCursors + 1

I'm not sure if this is fixable or not but I figured I would report it nonetheless. Thank you.

Attachments

• jD3Nc-0uWCF4J8e1.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 11