Bug Report Display Capture runs even if unchecked, causing massive frame drop

Trilkin

I don't know if this is a bug or an oversight, but I noticed I was having some really terrible performance while keeping OBS-Studio running. Even when not streaming, I would have issues both in and out of games - most egregiously with PCSX2 where even have OBS-Studio running without recording would cause it to lag horrendously. Even window animations and moving them around looking incredibly sluggish and the preview in OBS was around 10-20fps.

I found out why: I had made a Display Capture source to record something that wasn't cooperating with Window or Game capture and unchecked it when I wasn't using it. Reading some reports about Display Capture lag in the forums, I decided to experiment and just remove the source entirely. Lag disappeared immediately. Just to double check, I added the Display Capture source again and the lag returned so it's completely reproduceable.

For people having FPS issues with OBS-Studio on, if you use Display Capture sources, try removing them and see if it helps your lag issues.

Gol D. Ace

Pretty much all sources in OBS MP are Global.
And yes Display Capture on Windows 7 specially with Aero turned on has extremely bad performance.