Digital interference in audio when live streaming

ECC Tech

Hello,
Our church got a new computer a couple of months ago (an HP elite Desk 800 G6 desktop mini with Windows 10) and ever since there has been what sounds like digital interference in the audio. We use a USB input from a Q-16 Allen & Heath soundboard. No problems when I hook it back up to our old computer (laptop). Any thoughts?

Lawrence_SoCal

Maybe the power supply on the HP interacting you its power source differently? have you tried connecting PC (or sound system, whichever is easier) into a different electrical circuit? or use a high-quality AC line-filter (not cheap power strip). Personally, I run all of my gear (and therefore church streaming PC as well) off auto-voltage regulating power supplies (battery backup/UPS)
A laptop has its own line filter (the battery). So you may well have an AC line noise /ground loop issue, that your laptop masked.

Last edited:

konsolenritter

The sound is directly connected using the usb output of the a&h soundboard? So the Q(u?)-16 itself is the sound device appearing in the computer? Or do you use another USB device to connect the sound to the computer?

ECC Tech

The sound is directly connected using the usb output of the a&h soundboard? So the Q(u?)-16 itself is the sound device appearing in the computer? Or do you use another USB device to connect the sound to the computer?
Yes, the Q-16 is the sound source and is directly connected to the computer.

ECC Tech

Maybe the power supply on the HP interacting you its power source differently? have you tried connecting PC (or sound system, whichever is easier) into a different electrical circuit? or use a high-quality AC line-filter (not cheap power strip). Personally, I run all of my gear (and therefore church streaming PC as well) off auto-voltage regulating power supplies (batter backup/UPS)
A laptop has its own line filter (the battery). So you may well have an AC line noise /ground loop issue, that your laptop masked.
Interesting, thank you for the reply. I’ll give that a try.