Question / Help Desktop Audio does not work in Ubuntu

ahmetaksoy

Hi,
I am using OBS 23.2.1 (linux) on Ubuntu 18.04. Almost everything is perfect.
However I cannot record any desktop audio properly.
I want to record voices created by Text-to-speech applications. But I can only obtain a very weak and deformed result.
When I try to record desktop while youtube is active, I get the same result.
"Desktop Audio" is visible and active in the Mixer box, but there are no signs of activity in any case.
What can I do? I need your help.
Thank you in advance.
Ahmet

Note: I prepared a small video describing my environment and the problem. It is at https://file.io/mb0rpe

Last edited:

Slow_Epiphany

Is your desktop audio capture and your desktop audio output set to the same device?

I found that the "Default" setting is unreliable and setting OBS to capture specific devices is better. As at least on Mint the system audio settings seem to change at random for me.

LoadedInReverse

Not really a fix, but using a USB mic bypasses the issue and desktop audio starts working again

my guess is that it interferes with itself trying to record mic and audio to the same output/input especially if it’s an integrated audio card, so using a different device (USB mic) lets Desktop Audio focus on your internal device (aka built-in analog stereo)

kind of annoying but but there might be some other workarounds and most of that explanation is just conjecture, but at least it’s something xD