Question / Help Delay Game Capture or scene video for mic sync?

ZeroShift

I'm planning on using Reaper and a VAC to help clean up my microphone, but Reaper introduces about 1000ms of delay. Are there any game capture or scene delay settings to have the mic sync up with what's happening on screen on OBS-Studio?

DEDRICK

Reaper should not introduce that much delay, like nowhere close to that. You have your buffer size set up incorrectly or you are using some insanely heavy VSTs. At most you should have 10-30ms, the delay is so minimal that you can't tell the difference.

Use WASAPI in Reaper, it is the lowest latency you can get without going ASIO (which doesn't work in OBS), adjust your buffer to 512 or 256. The buffer should be low enough to reduce latency but not so low that you introduce buffer distortion.

Do not use ReaFir

Use a gate, a compressor and maybe a simple EQ

Do not use VAC, use VB Audio Cable (It's free). Make sure your Sample Rate for the INPUT matches in Windows, Reaper and OBS

Last edited:
(edited my post, sorry for the wall of text everyone)

I wouldn't say ASIO doesn't work in OBS-MP. OBS may not have native support for ASIO, but I'm not sure I really needs to, as long as you can get the audio IN/OUT of OBS with Virtual Audio Cable, VB Cable, etc.

I got VSTHost with some Reaper plugins working initially using MME-type Wave device inputs and outputs - almost perfectly - in a relatively short amount of time. I also found ReaFir to be pretty good for noise reduction/removal, and with the amount of fan noise I have in my computer room, I needed more than EQ, Noise Gate and Compressor.

Overall I was quite impressed with the results of my AT2020USB+ mic input after running it through the collection of Reaper plugins I had put together based on this tutorial youtube video I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIv3gdF9l5M

I DID have a pretty big problem with "lip sync" between the between mic input and webcam when I first got VSTHost and the plugins I used working, and the amount of audio +/- delay needed to get them back in sync was not the same with each recording.

Switching from MME Wave devices for input and output to ASIO4ALL took care of that and the stream mic is perfectly in sync with the webcam now without having to adjust +/- delay at all.

I do have one problem left to figure out, brief drop-outs of game sound from the sound card in OBS recordings that I am pretty sure don't actually happen in-game. This is a little odd since I am only using ASIO and VAC for the mics, not audio output from my onboard sound, but if it's not some weird problem with OBS then it might have to do with needing to adjust ASIO and device buffers.

But other than that, using ASIO4ALL2 and VAC with VSTHost and the plugins mentioned in that dude's youtube video seems to be a LOT better on latency for cleaning up the mic input.

Cheers

Last edited:
The remaining small issue for me ended up being that I had inadvertently configured a noise gate on my audio capture while I was messing around with mic stuff a week or so ago. Removing that cleared up my issue and there are no more dropouts of game audio.

So AFAIC, ASIO4ALL is working fine and great for me to get mic audio cleaned up from noise etc. and transport it basically latency-free to OBS, in combination with your virtual audio cable solution of choice - and in sync with the webcam.

DEDRICK

(edited my post, sorry for the wall of text everyone)

I wouldn't say ASIO doesn't work in OBS-MP.

Sorry I should have explained this one better.

In Ableton or Reaper for example, you can run your audio interface in ASIO mode for the lowest latency when producing music. When you play sound out from a DAW it will not be picked up in OBS as desktop audio if your output device is ASIO in the DAW, this is because Windows and OBS run in WASAPI.

ah, ok. That could well be. Admittedly, this adventure with my mics was my first delve into using ASIO + VAC to get processed mic output into OBS(-MP) - and as a separate audio input, not pre-mixed.. Which I'm glad to say is working.

So OBS-MP would need ASIO support to be able to take that DAW output?

DEDRICK

You can use a different output mode in most DAWs, for Reaper I use WASAPI when I run my mic through it