Decent OBS-compatible capture device for Canon Vixia HF-R800?

danielrosehill

Hi folks,

I know that the usual disclaimers about camcorders not making good webcams applies.

I have a webcam that I'm very happy with (Logitech C930E). I use my camera mostly for shooting video outdoors.

Nevertheless, a friend recently (as in yesterday) asked me to help shoot some footage at his wedding as a favor and setting up webcam on a tripod just seems wrong even if it might be technically possible. After doing a little bit of digging I realized that the Canon Vixia HF R800 can be used as a webcam in a pinch: you just need to run from its mini HDMI through a video capture converter that puts out USB and hook that up to OBS.

I must say that this kind of surprised me as one of the limitations I'm familiar with about this camcorder is that you can't use it for real time monitoring (of video, not audio; ie, you can only retrieve a video feed in playback). But it seems that you can record straight into a computer rather than write to the SD card if you have the right hardware.

Anyway:

Because the wedding's tomorrow and nothing else would get here in time, I've picked up the only HDMI-> USB capture device that I could find in my local computer store. It scales down from 4K to 1080P which shouldn't be a problem with this webcam (1080P is its max res) and it puts out to a USB 2.0 signal which I'm more concerned about.

But I've read that bad capture devices are pretty much useless and often don't succeed in passing over the audio aspect of the HDMI input.

If possible, I'd like to purchase a decent quality HDMI-> USB video capture converter that is compatible with this camcorder and which will be recognized in OBS. The final complication: I use Ubuntu - specifically 20.10.

If anybody happens to be at the rare intersection of the Venn diagram (you have this camcorder, you use Linux, and you use OBS) -- then please let me know what you found that allowed you to use this camera as an input.

Thank you!