Decent build for 1080p stream

MindsetDSF

I’m currently running my stream on a Ryzen 5 3500u laptop with Vega 8 Mobile graphics. I know this is not enough as my cpu peaks when I change scenes. I don’t have that many elements to be honest. My question is what kind of build am I looking at to run a 1080p 60fps stream. It’s solely a stream pc and I don’t want to overbuild for no good reason. I’ve seen a lot of articles saying there’s no need for a gpu. Advice? Thanks.

FerretBomb

Those articles are absolutely wrong.
Generally at this point, just make sure whatever you're building includes an nVidia 20 or 30-series GPU (or a 1660/TI, or a 1650 Super specifically). All of those have Turing-equivalent NVENC, which produces encoded video on-par with x264 Slow, with zero impact to in-game rendering. They've essentially made 2PC setups pointless, outside of a very few edge-case scenarios.

Past that, just make sure you have at least a midrange CPU (so no i3 nonsense) to handle videostream decoding and other source rendering/transfer. AMD generally are preferred due to the larger number of PCIe lanes available on Ryzen based systems. Probably 16GB RAM would be a good idea.

Really, a laptop isn't advised as a streaming system. They're the tallest midget.

MindsetDSF

Thanks so much for the reply. Yeah I know it’s not the best to use. But limited in terms of options at the moment.

DayGeckoArt

Get the Quadro T400 graphics card, it's currently $140 and has the NVENC encoder just before the current gen. The 1660 and 1650 are much more expensive