Bug Report CY3014 (StarTech.com USB3HDCAP) crashing OBS Studio sometimes

Saturn2888

This crash is fairly consistent and happens when I first open OBS Studio. The second time through it doesn't crash, but sometimes the capture card will freeze up and then be unable to come back. The freezing also happens in OBS, but the crashing does not.

The capture card apparently only reads half the vertical resolution of a 1080p60 input so it's probably interlaced and also is 59.94fps in NTSC mode. I can't get it to go any higher w/ this device.

I should also note this does not actually crash OBS Studio, only a warning message pops up every other time I open it. If I leave OBS Studio open and don't touch that dialog box, it doesn't close itself, and I can still use it.

Attachments

• Crash 2015-05-08 05-04-06.txt
    50.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Saturn2888

Found out more info. The crashes seem to be occuring when other 60fps (not 59.94) video sources are added along-side this box.

Saturn2888

Got a replacement unit, seems using both units at the same time does work along with two AVerMedia ExtremeCap U3s so long as all are using 60fps inputs such as PC HDMI-out. The 59.94 framerate came from the input device (HDMI-out from a camcorder), not the capture unit itself.

I should note I had a bunch of times where one of the units would freeze up in OBS and sometimes it was recoverable by disabling and re-activating, sometimes not.

It seems like a lot of this was random. I couldn't consistently figure out what was happening because sometimes all 4 units worked at once, other times only 3, then maybe 1 or two. It was a grab bag. I did many restarts and switched between OBS and OBS MP to no avail.

If you need me to test anything, I have both OBS and OBS MP to test with along with 2 IP Webcams, 2 StarTech.com USB3HDCAP (going to return one), 4 AVerMedia ExtremeCap U3, 6 PCs w/ HDMI-out, and a camcorder and a camera with HDMI-out. I'd personally like to figure this out so I can start incorporating multiple sources into my streams.

I can also give logs of these configurations if that would help at all.

Last edited:

Saturn2888

More info, the 59.94fps issue freezing the video can be mitigated by adding 0.5ms (or 1ms) of buffering so far in my findings. I've also tried checking the buffering box in OBS MP and that also seemed to work so far in my testing.

Did a 2 hour stream, while buffering was enabled, I didn't get any video freezes. So far I haven't tried adding in other capture sources yet.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
As for the crash, not sure what's going on, the crash appears to be within their driver interface filters, not in obs code.

Buffering prevents frame misses/duplication, although at the cost of a little extra latency, that's actually what it's there for, so you're using it for its intended purpose. It ensures that frames are played on time, especially if OBS and the device are set to the same framerate. It's disabled by default for most non-encoded device because most of them tend to output their frames in a relatively timely manner, but in certain cases like this it's useful to use where that may not be the case.

Saturn2888

Here's an example log of everything going nuts.

Attachments

• 2015-05-22 05-06-06.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2015-05-22 05-43-47.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2015-05-22 05-51-04.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 31