Bug Report Custom muxer settings doesn't accept CRF?

I discovered this when helping someone over on reddit. The problem was that they couldn't replicate their "simple" output settings in "advanced". We eventually figured out that the problem was that they had tried to set a CRF by using the Custom Muxer Settings input box, but that was being overridden by the Recording Quality dropdown.

(Ignore the streaming settings in the attachment, they're not actually being used.)

I suspect setting crf simply isn't what the setting is supposed to do, seeing as it's just muxer settings rather than encoder settings. However this makes me wonder what the point of the setting is, because as it stands it does nothing but confuse users, which definitely isn't the point of simple mode. I think it should either be replaced by another encoder settings field, removed, or more clearly distinguished in some way to avoid confusing the user.

Attachments

• HjPVESE.png
    HjPVESE.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 171

Osiris

The presets already contain a CRF value, if you want control over it set the output mode to advanced,

I'm aware of that, it's one of the reasons why I always use advanced. You're missing the point.

The point is that the purpose of the "muxer settings" is unclear, and that the field easily confuses users making them think they get to put crf in there. Confusing users is bad.

Also, what crf is each preset equal to?

Gol D. Ace

Muxer Settings affect the muxer. The part that muxes the video and audio streams into one file (like .flv, .mp4, .mkv and co)

EDIT: I believe it depends on what Resolution and FPS you use.
You can check the log file if you want to know what crf they correspond to.

EDIT2: Also Osiris is talking about Output Mode Advanced not Advanced Settings in the Simple Output Mode.

Last edited:
You can check the log file if you want to know what crf they correspond to.

That's a really good idea, thanks.

EDIT2: Also Osiris is talking about Output Mode Advanced not Advanced Settings in the Simple Output Mode.

I got that, yea. Once again I'm not sure how that's relevant to my inquiry.

I'm not asking how to set a custom CRF, I'm well aware of my options. In fact, I'm not asking anything. I'm pointing out a design flaw in the muxer setting field, which is that it looks like another "custom encoder settings" field to a novice user
but doesn't work that way (so much so that it almost seems like a bug, hence the "bug report" flair. Maybe marking it as a suggestion/feedback would've been better).

It seems I'm only confusing people here, I'll re-post my issue as a suggestion (which I should have all along) to hopefully get across what I'm trying to say, and include the new information I've gained from this thread (like that this definitely isn't a bug).

Somebody close/remove this thread please.