Current Setting Setup

ExsiliumTrinity

• Last OBS Log: https://gist.github.com/d7540988d1140591bcb4b6e2d1c17ac4
  • Bitrate: I can go up to 4000kbps, but only stream around 2000-2500kbps (for viewers sake).
  • Capture Card: ElGato HD Pro
    • Games Res/FPs:--Paper Mario(Gamecube)- I switch between 720p 30 fps(Great quality/not as smooth) - 540p 60fps(meh quality/good smooth)
    • --Destiny(Xbox One)- i use to stream at 720p 60fps, then 720p 30fps, to now i prefer 540p 60fps (watchable/smooth)

What would be a good in between for say running gamecubes games (zelda,pokemon,mario, etc..) and FPS like Destiny?
I want to take in account for the slower internet viewers as i use to be one and buffering sucks butt. I have been reading about 720p 30fps being standard etc, but 540p 60fps being ideal for FPS and have been testing quite a bit. I remember reading something about someone saying 600p 45fps(or something similar) is the new meta.
  • Any remarks on this so called new meta?
  • Any Recommendations for my settings?
  • Considerations for both types of viewers(slow internet vs high quality)?
I very rarely get Frame drops, unless its a extremely very fast motion/actions or just a bandwidth/cpu hiccup. I've only been officially streaming for roughly 3-4 days now (4-5 days of nothing but testing with friends). I've gained roughly 10 follower while maintaining constant views throughout the stream hitting up to 11 viewers 150ish views in 3 days. I know it depends on what games you play. (played oblivion and got the 9 followers plus constant viewers, but when i switched to paper mario, i cant keep viewers and i don't if its because of my settings or probably i know i haven't been entertaining(which i am now working on)
  • Any Tips/Advice?

C-Dude

on a i7-6700 (even non k) you should be fine for streaming at 720p30 or 720p60. You only want to decrease the resolution if your CPU isn't powerful enough. The bitrate it what causes viewers not to be able to watch it because if it is too high then their internet can't load it. If you use a bitrate anywhere around 2000-3000 you should be fine for 720p. The CPU preset is also extremely important it controls the compression efficiency which will use a lot more CPU power but create a lot better looking stream. If you can run it on veryfast (or better) at 720p then you are fine. (which you should be able to) if you have a slower PC/slower internet lowering bitrate and res can create a better looking stream. 30fps in stream is really good in my opinion, lots of times 720p30 looks better than 720p60 (at least on stream) it depends on your CPU preset, bitrate, what game, and what CPU.

You'll probably have to experiment to see what looks the best. But try 720p60 with a CPU preset of faster (fast if you have extra CPU power and veryfast if you are getting frame drops) and a bitrate of 2500 or 3000.

ExsiliumTrinity

I run it on fast anything lower starts to bottom out. I can run both 720p30+60fps no problem at 2000-2500. Only reason I have dropped down to 540p is for the slower internet viewers. But lately I have been just running 720p30fps and haven't got any complaints. Only thing I could possible see that is strange is my bitrate spikes up to 26-2700 sometimes. So idk if it's the audio or what. I was playing oblivion through the Xbox one and watching the bitrate constantly

C-Dude

Might be the audio sometimes for me it goes slightly above the max bitrate but i would have to do more testing about that. 540p won't help more viewers only the lower bitrate will.

ExsiliumTrinity

The 560p 60fps was just to run smoother at 2000kbps. But that's what I am thinking. It causes it to spike but I believe I have it set to the 92hz or whatever the 90 option was for all lines. So is 2500kpbs becoming the standard? I sometimes stream at 2250kbps but may just bump it to 2500 depending on if it impacts viewers but more and more are getting better internet as the years past. But for the high spikes. It only shows on OBS but not as often on twitch stream health. Would maybe the processor hiccup possible cause the audio if that's the case to increase in bits due to lose of compression or something related?

C-Dude

for twitch is shouldn't matter, until you get around 3500. Thats assuming your connection is fine. Most people that have a slower connection than 3 mbps aren't watching streams. I don't know what you mean by 'the standard' but most people stream at at least 2500 most higher.

ExsiliumTrinity

Makes sense. Just all the forums and guides etc... having been saying 2000kbps. But they are old like 2014-2015. So I will just go back to how I was wanting it set. 720p 2500kbps. But I know with 6mbps I had struggled here and there mainly at night but was perfect during the day. I couldn't find anything current about the OBS/Twitch settings just old stuff. So thanks for updating me. That is why I decided to post hoping someone would enlighten me.