Question / Help CRASH on Startup 21.0.1

wander

Can't even open the program. No recent system changes. Started fine the other day.

Attachments

• Crash 2018-02-04 13-24-37.txt
    86.8 KB · Views: 15

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Looks like something in your GPU drivers is crashing, taking OBS with it. Make sure your AMD GPU drivers are fully up to date.

wander

AMD GPU driver fully up to date. Running AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100. Running in professional mode 17.12.2 Like I said, it loaded fine yesterday. Any other suggestion?

wander

Did a full shutdown and reboot. OBS won't open. Going straight to crash log. I'll upload both crash and log.

Attachments

• Crash 2018-02-04 14-06-18.txt
    64.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2018-02-04 14-06-01.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 14

Fenrir

Forum Admin
It's the media foundation encoders that are causing this crash to trigger, but it's happening inside the GPU drivers themselves. Let me do some research and see what I can find out.

Rodney

Forum Moderator
Try deleting the win-mf.dll file, obs should still run fine but fall back to using the ffmpeg aac encoder instead of the windows one.

This is an odd crash but it appears to be similar to issues we've seen with the amf plugin, the difference being that in this case the AMD driver is accessed through Windows' Media Foundation instead of OBS directly. It's probably down to the same issues with the AMD drivers as well.

wander

Fixed it. Starting fine now with no hiccups.

I am currently running a 3x montior setup. My main monitor is a 1440p and my other two monitors are 1080p. I was using my AMD GPU's VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) feature to run the 1080p monitors upscaled to 1440p. Has been running fine on Windows and associated games, but wasn't playing nice with OBS.

Turned VSR off for the extended monitors and now everything works fine like before. Sucks tho honestly cause it's a great feature to have but I guess I can't use it...

OBS limitation? or GPU related?

Didn't try deleting the win-mf.dll file...should I attempt to incorporate this solution?

Rodney

Forum Moderator
Please try again with VSR and the win-mf file deleted. It's useful for us to know if that helps should the issue come up again.

The crash itself is happening in the AMD driver so there's nothing we can really do about it outside of removing Mediafoundation encoders (which will happen soon). Odd that VSR would cause the AMF stuff to crash but... AMD.

Last edited: