Crackling Mic

Chelcicle

Greetings!

I am writing as someone who is not particularly tech savvy, but has been trial and erroring my way through obs for streams for work. However, in the last three weeks, there has been a problem that has make the streams completely unusable. The microphone distorts everything; the entire stream is crackly and staticky. However, audio that comes directly from the computer seems unaffected. Any prerecorded pieces are completely fine.

So I thought the issue was the microphone, but changing that did not fix the problem. Furthermore, when I run tests, it works fine. Recording using OBS works fine; the test streams work fine. But in our official streams (we've been using Facebook, but may be switching to Youtube), the microphone audio is distorted. And the audio is distorted both on the live stream and on the backup recording. I cannot figure out what the difference would be since I am using the same scene collections, the same prerecorded pieces, the same microphone, the same room, the same internet connection, the same streaming id... The only difference is the number of people in the room, but since everyone leaves their cell phones two rooms away, I can't imagine what that would have to do with anything. Even when I run test streams immediately after we were supposed to finish, it works completely fine.

Other than Murphey's Law, is there anything I can check that I might have missed or changed by accident? Or any settings we could use to fix this issue? Thank you.