Question / Help CPU usage ~20% with window capture a static jpg; not streaming

Slogre

To get to the point: I'm trying to run an online D&D game. I open OBS and set a single source to window capture a static jpg and the CPU jumps from ~.8 to ~20% instantly. I'm not streaming. If I add a second window capture source (say a webpage) CPU usage jumps to ~40%. Is this a known issue (I pretty sure I cannot be the only one affected by this)??? If not, is there some basic configuration that I'm screwing up?

The settings are:
- Output:
-- Encoder: x264
-- Rate Control: CBR
-- Bitrate: 2500
- Video:
-- Base Resolution: 1280x720
-- Output Resolution: 640x360
-- FPS: 30

MacBook stats
- 13-inch, 2017
- 2.3 GHz i5
- 8 GB LPDDR3
- Iris Plus Graphics 640

If this has already been answered, sorry for my crap search-fu... :(

Last edited:

Narcogen

Hard to tell without a log but those numbers do not sound typical. That said... if you want to capture a static image you should probably just add an image source and not window capture an image. Window capture on MacOS is probably the least performant capture method.

Slogre

Hard to tell without a log but those numbers do not sound typical. That said... if you want to capture a static image you should probably just add an image source and not window capture an image. Window capture on MacOS is probably the least performant capture method.

Thanks for the reply. I've uploaded a small log that shows me adding two window capture sources and then removing them. You'll also notice that I switched the video settings back to default because the ~20% hit is encountered no matter what those settings appear to be set at.

One other thing, to clarify, I will use window captures for Skype video chat windows, not static images. I was merely using that as a placeholder for the chat window. What I'm going for is something like the below pic, just much less fancy.

maxresdefault.jpg

All this being said, is there a better way to capture video chat windows? If not, is running an online game just not viable an anything but the beefiest Macs?

I'm a total n00b, so I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 2018-11-22 08-38-13.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 6