Bug Report "Could not find locale.ini path"

So I was going to test out the newest release of OBS Multiplatform. It seems to have imported my overlay from the previous version but now every time I click settings in the 32 bit version I get the message in the thread title and it crashes. Do I need to totally uninstall and reinstall, and if so where can I grab the file that has my layout(s) in it so I don't have o start from scratch?

https://gist.github.com/93982cdccb0d459db08b

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
OBS Multiplatform does not import anything from OBS1, so if something was already there when you started it, it was left over from an older time where you used OBS MP. I do recommend uninstalling and reinstalling, making sure to delete the %appdata%/obs-studio folder and the folder you uninstalled from.

OBS Multiplatform does not import anything from OBS1, so if something was already there when you started it, it was left over from an older time where you used OBS MP. I do recommend uninstalling and reinstalling, making sure to delete the %appdata%/obs-studio folder and the folder you uninstalled from.
Is there any way to grab my overlays from my previous OBS MP?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You're using 0.10.0 I see, change that to 0.10.1 if possible. There was a breaking bug in 0.10.0.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I feel like it's not installed correctly. Use the OBS multiplatform installer on the front page.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Have you tried using the binaries?

This does not normally happen. The function causing that error is over a year old and I've never had someone report this happen before. I feel like this cannot at all be an issue with OBS itself, I have not heard it from another individual and cannot replicate it at all. Do you have security software? Something is breaking our file data. Did you try the binary install of OBS?

The function causing that error only fails if the locale.ini file is not found or if the string buffer has insufficient space. Essentially, either your path to OBS is way too impossibly nested (not possible if you installed it), or if the file is getting deleted or something somewhere.

I don't know what's going on. I can't even really theorize any other possibilities. Does the locale.ini file exist in the data/obs-studio directory after this happens? This just shouldn't be really possible.

If I remove the video source and reopen the program I can access Settings again. but that doesn't particularly help me. :(

Edit: I also tried to put the folder in the root of the c drive to prevent the file path from becoming too long and that still didn't work.

I should also note that this only seems to effect the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version still seems to be able to access Settings, but, of course, my elgato won't work with the 64 bit program. I really need to get this to work, but I'm pretty much totally out of ideas. I just tried changing my folder's permissions but that did not do the trick.

Tried the 0.11.3 vesion. Both the Installer version and the Portable version and had the same problem. How do I post the Crash Logs?

So it seems like the 32bit version of OBS Studio is incapable of of writing certain files. comparing the logs from

64 bit
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ecbb0a1870d7455a7f53

to

32 bit
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/612da326ed2931493997

seems to show that the 32bit version can't even save scene data in adition to not finding locale.ini.

I double checked the permissions on the folders and ran obs32 as Administrator but it didn't seem to make a difference. Any idea on what could be causing a difference between the two versions?

So I was never able to find a solution to this issue. Fortunately elgato has released 64bit drivers for their capture devices. This is allowing my to use the 64bit version of OBS MP.

So while its not a solution, it seems to be a work around that allows me to finally experiment with OBS MP.