Question / Help Constant dropped frames despite TwitchTest 100 quality ratings

Refl3xes

I've had a long (Four months-ish) saga of internet issues, but I'll try to keep this brief. I've read the stickied post on dropped frames and I've tried everything there except streaming to another service. I'll try that next.

In the past four months, I've had seven tech visits, I've replaced my router and my modem, and I've upgraded my internet package - still I've had constant issues.

TwitchTest shows 100 quality and 10mbps+ to the LA and Phx servers, and these are the two that I normally use. I can run a five minute long test and still get 100 quality. As soon as I start my stream though, I have issues.

My bitrate is consistent about 75% of the time, but during that other 25% it will drop to 0 quite often and drop a lot of frames. I was running the "dynamically change bitrate" option for the past couple months, but the issue was my bitrate would tank and then sit around 1-2k for 5-10 minutes, which ruined the stream quality. I disabled it today because I figure dropping frames is better than having 10 minute periods of 1k bitrate. Even forcing the bitrate back to normal through the advanced output options usually doesn't work for more than a minute.

With my upgraded package I have 35mbps upload constantly, but I still run into these dropped frames/lowered bitrate issues every time I stream. I might have only one night a week where I don't run into issues. I usually only stream 720p with a 5kbitrate, and my upload should easily handle that. I use the "enable network optimizations" option as well.

I have recently played a lot of Valorant but I might have to cut back on that, since my ping is usually so high that it makes playing the game a nightmare. While dropping frames my ping might spike anywhere from 150-200 for a minute, and even while I'm not dropping frames my ping sits around 80 or 90. I mention this because this leads me to believe there is still an ISP issue, despite the numerous tech visits I've had.

After dealing so extensively with my ISP, and having to wait now for another tech once they're allowed inside customer's homes again, my will to stream is really dwindling. I hate having to battle internet issues and constantly monitor my bitrate. If anyone has any suggestions on what I might try to fix this, I would be glad to hear them.

Thank you,

Refl3xes

edit: added last log file

Last edited:

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer