Question / Help Connectivity issues to Twitch servers

Hi all,

I am sitting here with an issue I just cannot seem to fix. The issue regards complaints of dropping frames or just lagging with viewers having buffer all the time. Now the problem in here is that the dropped frames is on 0, packet loss is 0, output is normal at 2500 and with the recommended settings. When I look at my own stream on a different computer next to me I cannot confirm anything of the complaints being made. When checking my stream there is no buffering etc.

Is this viewer related? Especially given the connection I have and my ping towards amsterdam and many other EU cities is perfect between 10 and 25 ms. To give some insight here's my speedtest:

Decent right?

Now some extra factors of twitch testing and the horror and especially the confusion begins here...

2j10hls.png

These are twitch bandwith test v1.02 made by user R1CH and a plugin from a different OBS user for the normal OBS. (Note I do use the MP version but that didn't have this plugin available)

As you can see, these do not match at all. By far even...

Now to guarantee, the issues are not hardware related. I have had my tweaking with that in the past and that runs fine. These complaints however, have started about a month ago. Viewers state the following "I can watch other streams even on 1080P perfectly, but yours just ends up in buffering". This goes for the majority of the viewers, the other part aren't complaining nor do they recognize any of those complaints. As said, given the lack of actual problems on my side, I am now just fishing in the dark and decided to give a try here on the forums.

Despite that.

Specs:

PC specs
* CPU: Intel I7-4770K @4.4Ghz
* CPU: Cooler Master EVO 212 (double fans)
* GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 6GB SLI
* Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
* RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 16GB
* HDD: 1TB @ 7200RPM + 1TB 7200RPM + 2 TB @7200RPM + 2TB @7200RPM
* SSD: Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO
* SSD: Samsung 250 GB 840
* Case: Enermax Fulmo GT

Stream settings:

EU: Amsterdam, NL (or Frankfurt/London)

Output:

Encoder: x264
Enforce streaming service encoder settings (ticked)
Bitrate: 2500
Custom buffer? -> No
Keyframe: 2
CBR -> Ticked
CPU usage: Faster (works fine)
Profile: Main
Tune: None
VFR -> NO

Audio: I skip this
Video
Renderer: Direct3D 11
Video Adapter: Blank
Base Res: 1920x1080
Scaled Res: 1280x720
Downscale Filter: Bilinear
FPS: 30

Logs: https://gist.github.com/6a5b68d4f44b74004dfd

Buffering of viewers is related to their connection to the twitch viewer CDN.
If you're not partnered, you're stuck at about 2000kbit before users start ending up in buffering hell.
https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...oads-constantly-for-my-viewers-but-why.18465/

Wait does this mean that twitch now changed the bitrate for 'normal' users to 2000 max?

I've read through it, well that aint a great way I guess. The way twitch works might be an issue and well I guess 540P on what 1700 kb/s might be the option then... Shame. But we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Harold

They haven't changed the bitrate, it's just that a large percentage of users have routes to the twitch viewer cdn in san fransisco that can't support more than about 2100kbit total combined between audio and video.

Richj1983

I had this recently, I dropped the bitrate down to 2500 and have no probs now though, i can see your point and it is extremely frustrating though, i dropped the resolution down a few levels too

They haven't changed the bitrate, it's just that a large percentage of users have routes to the twitch viewer cdn in san fransisco that can't support more than about 2100kbit total combined between audio and video.

Interesting, but here's the thing. We're talking about Europe here. Even them? I mean, if even EU viewers to an EU stream are being redirected to USA, San Fransico then that would be ********

Harold

They are and it is.

If you aren't partnered or popular enough to get distributed across their global viewer cdn, you get your viewers routed through san fransisco, regardless of where you stream from.