Question / Help Connection to rtmp://rtmp-api.facebook.com:80/rtmp/ failed: -2

Eric Lindsey

As the post title suggests, I cannot stream to Facebook Live. Clicking Start Streaming results *almost immediately* in a message that says "Failed to connect to server." It's as if it's not trying to connect at all.

The log file (https://hastebin.com/uparecocon) says:
Connection to rtmp://rtmp-api.facebook.com:80/rtmp/ failed: -2

I saw somewhere that this message may be related to DNS, so I have tried several different DNS providers. Pinging the host works fine, and I am connecting to Facebook in a browser to create the stream in the first place, so Internet connectivity is not a problem. As a troubleshooting step, I have disabled all but the specific network adapter I am using for the stream.

I got this message on an older version of OBS Studio, so I upgraded to the latest version OBS 21.1.0 (64bit, windows), but got the same results.

Windows 8.1 x64.

Last edited:

Eric Lindsey

I would love to try a different Internet connection, but I'm on an island and all I have at my disposal is the resort's network. Can't test with my mobile hot spot.

Eric Lindsey

Update: I've tried the same computer with the same configuration at other venues/networks, and everything works as expected. I suspect a firewall issue at the location I am trying to service.