Connecting with HDMI

JoePledge

I have a professional grade video camera - can I connect via HDMI or will I have to connect via USB /another method?

BensTechLab

"professional grade" is not really a camera feature :-) Cameras are not simply "professional or not professional", but rather a spectrum of various camera capability combinations. Some cameras in the same sensor class/price category will have clean hdmi out, some won't, some will have usb webcam, some won't. You'll need to check your manual and/or google.

Does your camera have a clean HDMI output available? (ie: HDMI output where you can configure it to not output any of the onscreen meta data like battery life, memory space remaining, etc). Often this will provide the highest quality output as it is not compressed at this stage. Then you can use a device like the "Elgato CamLink" to make the HDMI show up as a webcam in your computer.

The elgato camlink is an extra expense though, so some cameras will also implement a USB webcam mode as a cheaper alternative - but not all. Again google your camera name + "usb webcam" and see what comes up. For example google "Canon M50 usb webcam" which should get some results, where as "Sony a6400 usb webcam" will only get results telling you to use an HDMI capture device like the elgato camlink.