Connecting A DSLR With A Mac

Patrick Morrow

What is the best way to connect a DSLR with a MAC? I cannot seem to get OBS to see the camera either when connected via HDMI or USB

Lawrence_SoCal

Patrick, unfortunately that is NOT a simple question to answer, as the truth is.. it depends
*IF* the DSLR has USB3 (not 2.0) then using USB will generally be easier.
If only USB2, then camera has to compress video stream to fit, and may greatly limit resolution as well.
Either way, you may/probably need to install a driver (like the EOS webcam util referenced above for certain Canon cameras) for the computer to recognize the camera (having nothing to do with OBS).

So, when USB isn't adequate, folks then will switch to using HDMI with a capture card. Note your computers HDMI port is an HDMI OUT port, and can't accept incoming HDMI signal, you need a capture card for that
But then the question is whether the camera supports a clean output (or has all the picture taking interface elements displayed) and/or to get a clean out, if you have to disable autofocus or similar. and a whole bunch of other caveats

So, it boils down to - do you have the camera already? or looking to get a camera?
if you have a camera already, then searching in product specific forums will give you better answers as to how to treat that specific camera/model/firmware as a webcam.
If you don't have a camera, then many good DSLR/mirrorless ILC cameras released in last year or two will likely have a USB3 port and be able to act as a webcam without issue.
As an example, I have the Canon 80D, with has USB2 port, therefore low resolution using Canon's webcam s/w. And no clean HDMI output without significant compromises. Other vendors/cameras have same issue. Canon's next release 90D on the other hand though is still stupidly on USB2, but does offer clean HDMI output. I believe the Canon R series uses a USB-C /3.x port.

My recommendation - get camera working on the computer first, then setup OBS to use it.