Configuring OBS For Low-End PCs.

Hey all, I have a decent laptop and I use it to play minecraft. I've wanted to record my gameplay using OBS, but whenever I do the recording's always super choppy and laggy. Which is weird because I use optifine to play minecraf and I get 80-130 fps but when I use OBS it downgrades to 30, and the video itself is like 2fps.

These are my stats:
I have an Intel Core i5-8250U @ 1.60 GHz,
8 Gigs of Ram
and Intel UHD Graphics 620.

Thanks a lot for your help!

qhobbes

qhobbes

0. If available via Windows Update, update to Windows 10 2004 per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers
1. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode
2. Run OBS as Admin
3. Record to FLV or MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto remux in the Advanced settings.
4. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD): 48000 Hz
Line (SparkoCam Audio): 44100 Hz
5. The encoder is skipping frames because of CPU overload. Try using Quick Sync (QSV) encoder with Target Usage: Quality, Profile: High