Question / Help Colours Wrong In preview window

Im trying to use OBS Multiplatform with my MageWell capture card, but the colours appear to be wrong in the preview window and the output file, they seem correct when just using normal OBS......

qlP35WC.jpg

The purple should be red.

I have tried changing the colour format in the advanced settings but that doesnt seem to change anything, any ideas??

Ok i have tried that, and each of the 4 possible colour formats all produce similar results, ie messed up colours. I thought this would be the case as in the standard OBS program the colours are fine and seeing that my Capture card settings are the same for both programs and one displays correct colours (Standard OBS) and the other doesnt (OBS MultiPlatform) then surely is a fault with OBS MultiPlatform???

Managed to fix the issue.

I had to go into 'Properties' for the 'Video Capture Device' and change 'Resolution/FPS Type' to 'Custom' adding 1920x1080 as resolution and set the 'Video Format' to 'XRGB'. After that the colours are now correct.

Just one other thing whats does the 'Match Output FPS' setting do?, does it automatically change the fps to that of the game being played?, so if its a 60fps game it will capture 60fps and if 30fps will capture at 30fps??. If this is the cause how reliable is this setting at actually picking the right fps??

sam686

The log file shows as using NV12 colorspace.

OBS-mp NV12 colorspace from a capture/source may be broken with vertical color stripes. Using different colorspace works.

There is a file, data/libobs/format_conversion.effect ... with a function PSNV12_Reverse that may need fixing to get NV12 to work correctly. Also, the rounding errors from using floats and huge numbers, hurts at resolution higher then 1920x1080.

Yeah thats the effect i was getting, vertical colour strips. Odd thing was on my Micomsoft XCapture-1 device i wasn't getting any issues at all just on the Magewell Pro Capture HDMI device. Guess ill have to wait for NV12 to be fixed then if i want to use that, but XRGB should be perfectly fine to use right??

sam686

RGB / XRGB may be the best option, but some capture cards can't use RGB at highest resolution and frame rate.
YUY2, UYVY, I422 have full vertical chroma resolution, but reduced horizontal chroma resolution.
YV12, NV12, I420 have reduced chroma resolution both vertical and horizontal.
Reduced chroma resolution can cause some color/colour blur compared to RGB.

UltronX

I have a similar issue: if I set OBS 0.12.3 to record using either I444 or RGB, the video is mis-colored. The colors are correct when I record in either I420 or NV12. What I also noticed is when I look at the RGB recording log, OBS has the format logged as I420. The I444 log has the format logged correctly but the actual recording is still off.

Attachments

• 2015-12-07 23-23-34.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 2015-12-07 23-38-40.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 19
  • OBS-I444_Recording.jpg
    OBS-I444_Recording.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 75
  • OBS-RGB_Recording.jpg
    OBS-RGB_Recording.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 72

TeleFata

Hello,

I've been having the same problem using NV12 with the Magewell Pro Capture HDMI 4k Plus. I had to set the video format for the card in OBS to I420, as changing the color setting on the card produced the same result.

Is this an issue with NV12 in OBS that needs to be fixed as sam686 mentioned, or is this a Magewell compatibility issue?

Last edited: