Question / Help Choosing Linux distro for OBS on old pc

check1212

Hi,

I am setting up OBS studio on an old pc, Intel core 2, 2gb ram, 150gb HD. I am trying to figure out what the best Linux distro for this would be.

(I may also like to have some multitrack audio recording and some basic video editing possible on it.)

What would be the most resource effective Linux distribution I could use, without ending up spending hours for hunting down custom fixes for the os?

Very thankful for input, I am not sure where to ask about this.

Thanks!

landyvlad

Are your hardware specs compatible?
If you look here: https://obsproject.com/wiki/System-Requirements it states the basic requirements, and
OBS Studio requires the following hardware and operating systems to function. Having a compatible system does not guarantee that it is capable of streaming or recording using OBS. The CPU requirements vary considerably depending on the chosen encoder, resolution, FPS and your scene complexity. Try the Tools -> Auto Configuration Wizard in OBS itself to find appropriate settings for your specs.

Have a read of that page and see if it offers any enlightenment :)

As far as Linux itself is concerned , your first consideration will be the footprint of Linux on your computer.
You'll want one which is as resource light as possible - this will mean no fancy desktops etc. The best place to ask about that is probably on a Linux forum.

Linux Mint, though, has the following minimum specs
  • X86 processor, under this Linux Mint 64-bit, requires a 64-bit processor. But the Linux Mint 32-bit can easily run over the 32-bit or 64-bit processors.
  • There is a requirement of 512 MB RAM. But for the comfortable usage, we suggest 1 GB.
  • The demand for 5 GB disk space. For better result, we recommend 20 GB.
  • Requirement of DVD drive or USB port
  • The capability of 800*600 resolution for graphics card. At the same time, we propose 1027*768 resolution
so you should be pretty much covered on that front.

The upshot is that Linux Mint and OBS ought to work on your system I think.

See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNBdJzf4B0

Probably the main thing you need to ensure is that your GPU is appropriately spec'ed.

Based on the system specs I'm going to assume you aren't streaming games? In which case the GPU demands shouldn't be too high, and depending on your actual use case and CPU, onboard graphcis MAY be sufficient. Then again maybe not.
I am really notrsure whether OBS works with onboard graphics.

I hope some of that helps.

check1212

Hi, thanks a lot for your input. I did actually install OBS studio in Linux mint, it went smooth. I never tried it though since I wanted to research the best route. I got confused when I had to choose between six different Mint install versions: Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce, each one 32 or 64 bit.

I need no fancy desktop whatsoever, but my concern is that if I choose one of the lightweight builds like Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Peppermint (?), maybe there would be things lacking that are needed for OBS. None of these builds, including Mint versions, is listed under the OBS Studio Linux install instructions (https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-instructions#linux).

I will use several webcams and line in audio while streaming, probably to YouTube. Nothing else will be going on on this computer while streaming. I am fine with some visual glitches and low image resolution, I actually prefer it. Audio has to be decent. I will record audio to a separate hard drive I think.

Previously I have run OBS studio on an old macbook (2011?) with ok results.