Changing File Destination via Plugin

astonish

Context: I'm working on a project that records a bunch of real-time data from a number of proprietary sources using a number of tools we wrote. One portion of this set of data we wish to record is a video feed of the user's display during training. Untouched OBS fits the bill out of the box and so far performs perfectly.

We only need to customize two things: being able to start and stop OBS remotely and change the destination the recordings go to. I originally looked into OBSRemote and, although it is great, for a number of reasons we are going to write our own plugin to do this.

The start/stop functionality seems trivial, but handling the destination filename seems a little more difficult.

Snooping around it seems clear that in OBSCapture.cpp in the void OBS::StartRecording() function there is a simple pull from the AppConfig global variable. Simply placing the correct filename I wish to record to using AppConfig->SetString(TEXT("Publish"), TEXT("SavePath"), TEXT("C:\\MyExampleFilename.mp4")); before the StartStopStream would do the trick, but I'm not sure this structure is available to plugins in a safe manner.

I'd prefer to do this with my simple plug-in code rather than having to touch the OBS source itself and push a new patch for a feature nobody else likely needs... Any advice?