Changed recording path to external hard drive from main SSD and now my recordings are corrupting when I stop recording

fwengli

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I bought an external hard drive for recording space, but now sometimes when I finish a recording my OBS freezes on "Stopping Recording. . ." and when it finishes the recording is corrupt. Any help?

FerretBomb

Don't record to MP4 directly. EVER. It is NOT a recording-safe format.
Doing this and ignoring the big orange 'do not do this' message that pops up when MP4 is selected as the recording format is the cause of almost all corrupted recordings.

USB has additional transfer overhead which can cause timing issues for writes; generally it's a better idea to record to an internal SATA drive, then copy the recording to an external drive for long-term storage, or use with an editing suite.

fwengli

Don't record to MP4 directly. EVER. It is NOT a recording-safe format.
Doing this and ignoring the big orange 'do not do this' message that pops up when MP4 is selected as the recording format is the cause of almost all corrupted recordings.

USB has additional transfer overhead which can cause timing issues for writes; generally it's a better idea to record to an internal SATA drive, then copy the recording to an external drive for long-term storage, or use with an editing suite.
I record in .mkv. Does it matter?