Question / Help Change format for lossless recordings

Reachie

Hi, I am using OBS Studio and really like it. I want to use lossless recordings but they all come out as mkvs which I can't edit in Sony vegas.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
I also doubt vegas handles 4:4:4 lossless H264. You're free to save to whatever container you like though, MKV is just an option (FLV is default).

Blink

can confirm Vegas won't take 4:4:4 H264 in RGB or YUV.

To change the container, its right below the Recording Quality selection.....

you can save mp4, flv, mov, mkv, etc.

Reachie

Ah sucks but I'll deal with it somehow. But that being said I don't see an option to change container. It's only there when I don't record lossless.
obscapture.PNG

Blink

You know what, actually you're right. I actually didn't go as far as actually selecting Lossless quality but now that I did, I can confirm the option to change your container type gets removed from the Interface.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'll see what I can do about it. Very annoyed that sony vegas can't even read mkv files, it brings me nothing but negative emotions right now. I had originally done this because avi didn't seem to support FLAC and I wanted to switch to FLAC. I'll figure out some way to deal with the issue in the next version.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'll just revert it to how it worked before (AC3 at 512kb/s) so we can use AVI again. It's high enough audio bitrate to where it's at least completely indistinguishable. Actually, I'll just use pure WAV output. Annoying that I cant use FLAC with AVI files, and even more annoying that sony has such terrible support for formats, but it's something for the time being.

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay, I just updated the downloads so that it's avi with uncompressed pcm audio instead. Redownload if needed.

Blink

It outputs AVI now. Although I'd just caution anyone if you want to capture at 60fps you better have an insanely powerful CPU, or try a resolution lower than 1920x1080 lol. my dedicated FX 8320 with a capture card can't even do it and it can do lossless H.264 in real-time.

No idea why UT Codec eats so much CPU.

Reachie

That helps, thanks for doing that. Although as others pointed out Vegas doesn't support lossless H264 anyways. Maybe it's time to look for another editing software.