Question / Help Capturing a laptop screen via capture cards

Vinterbird

Hi!

I'm trying to build some way to capture a laptop screen for presentation / work stuff, the laptop will be running a normal powerpoint presentation but I can not find a way to capture it in OBS.

I have a Blackmagic Decklink Recorder card and a Intensity 4K card, and been trying to get a signal from either has not been possible so far. I've set the laptop to output 720p from it's VGA port (converted to HDMI for the capture cards) and set the cards to serch for 720p/60 in OBS but no signal.

Is there something I'm missing in the process, or is laptops just weird to capture?

Harold

The laptop doesn't have hdmi out?
The projector doesn't have hdmi in?

If you're capturing, you should be adding the intensity as a blackmagic capture device in obs.

Vinterbird

Neither has HDMI out. Laptop has VGA-out which I convert into HDMI and feed into one of the capture cards, same for the projector.

So I should add the capture card as a "capture device" instead of a Blackmagic Device?

Vinterbird

No. It should be as a blackmagic device. Tried the card at 720p30 in obs?

720/30 doesn't show as a option when adding the capture card, It's only 720/60, 720/59 or 720/50- No option for 30 unless it's 1080, at least that is what the dropdown menu says when trying to add it.