Question / Help Capturing a Java Program [Shimeji-ee]

nyumnums

So I'm trying to capture this program: http://kilkakonofficial.deviantart.com/art/Shimeji-ee-1-0-6-Download-And-Instructions-386324554
Which is a little mascot that wanders around on your screen and interacts with it. It's a java app, and currently, it seems the only way to capture this is with display capture. However, I really wanted them to wander around my stream layout itself, instead of having to do display capture and keep an entire window blank to let them wander. Is there any possible way to only capture these little fellas?

Archnila

I know this thread is 3 years old but yeah. Been trying to figure it out. Seems like the only way is to do a display capture to capture the whole screen according to the guy who made the English version

WBE

Maybe it's a conceptual misunderstanding. OBS Studio can live stream and record video (with audio of course). That video can consist of various sources, from images and pre recorded media clips to webcams to captured windows etc. and these sources can be combined, arranged and have effects applied. That is wat OBS can do and what it is good at.

Shimeji screenshot YouTube v=S7fPCGh5xxo.png

You want to get the Shimeji desktop pet into your stream. It is not an Media Source (i.e. an .mp4 file), it is a MS Window program written in the Java programming language... so you need to do some capture of that. Since a specific Window Capture is not successful, all that's left is Display Capture. But that indeed has the drawback that you'll get everything going on at that display, not just the Shimeji.
The fact that Window Capture doesn't work probably has to do with the nature of Shimeji: it is designed to not work as a normal window or inside a normal window, but on top of everything going on in your display.

Please be aware that you can only capture Shimeji into OBS, there is no way the desktop pet can interact with the other arranged sources inside your stream, nor the possibility for you to interact with the pet inside OBS i.e. using your mouse.

(image source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fPCGh5xxo)

Steam Hooves

Maybe it's a conceptual misunderstanding. OBS Studio can live stream and record video (with audio of course). That video can consist of various sources, from images and pre recorded media clips to webcams to captured windows etc. and these sources can be combined, arranged and have effects applied. That is wat OBS can do and what it is good at.

View attachment 84060

You want to get the Shimeji desktop pet into your stream. It is not an Media Source (i.e. an .mp4 file), it is a MS Window program written in the Java programming language... so you need to do some capture of that. Since a specific Window Capture is not successful, all that's left is Display Capture. But that indeed has the drawback that you'll get everything going on at that display, not just the Shimeji.
The fact that Window Capture doesn't work probably has to do with the nature of Shimeji: it is designed to not work as a normal window or inside a normal window, but on top of everything going on in your display.

Please be aware that you can only capture Shimeji into OBS, there is no way the desktop pet can interact with the other arranged sources inside your stream, nor the possibility for you to interact with the pet inside OBS i.e. using your mouse.

(image source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fPCGh5xxo)
so what your saying there isnt a way "yet" too add a pet onto OBS

lebreezyaf

Window capture "should" work, since it's just a virtual window with no titlebar that just fills the entire screen, and is not interactable with.
See if you find "java.exe" or "javaw.exe" in the window capture settings.