Question / Help Capture 2nd PC Desktop over Lan?

StudioEvil

Hey all,

Is there a way to capture a 2nd PC's desktop on your LAN to stream via OBS? I am streaming a recording studio and using a second PC to actually control the stream. I use two PCs to preserve the resources of each discipline. (Recording & Streaming) I send only the audio from my recording PC (DAW) to OBS on the second streaming computer. However, I would like to be able to share my desktop of the recording PC at the same time.

As is, I am streaming the performer and their audio but when its time to listen back. I would like to be able to display the software I am using to record. This was an easy task with Wirecast as they have desktop presenter. I can't seem to find a solution yet with OBS.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

StudioEvil

Interesting. I appreciate the quick response! However, it seems like this will tax my audio PC. Which I am trying to avoid. Bit of a complicated set up too.

StudioEvil

Would this be a feasible solution? Put a capture card in my streaming PC and grab one of the outs of my GPU on the audio PC? With the video obviously set to mirrored. This will then capture the audio PCs desktop.

One of the bigger challenges is the audio lag. As is with sending an audio out from the recording PC to the streaming PC, I end up with about a 200MS delay with the audio. Which is easily handled within OBS. If I end up with any lag from the card too, I won't be able to offset because it will be using the same audio feed. Good times.....

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
You just described a very standard way to use a capture card with 2 PCs. If you're worried about audio delay then you'll most likely want a PCIe card instead of an external.

StudioEvil

You just described a very standard way to use a capture card with 2 PCs. If you're worried about audio delay then you'll most likely want a PCIe card instead of an external.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sure would be cooler not to have to spend any loot! :)