Question / Help Can't record using libvpx video codec.

TriforceOfKirby

I have my recording output set to Custom Output (FFmpeg); with container format set to Matroska, video encoder set to libvpx, and audio encoder set to flac. When I click the Start Recording button, it says "An unspecified error occurred while recording."

I would have liked to use libvpx-vp9 (VP9) rather than libvpx (VP8), but I didn't see it in the list of options even though I know ffmpeg supports it (Is it disabled or is OBS using an older version of ffmpeg?). In the mean time I am using ffvhuff instead and using ffmpeg to convert to VP9:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -map_metadata -1 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -lossless 1 -threads 12 -c:a flac -compression_level 12 "output.mkv"

So any way to fix this error when trying to encode with libvpx? Also is there anyway to manually use libvpx-vp9 as the video encoder?

sam686

libvpx appears to require using advanced, color format to i420 as NV12 doesn't work on this encoder.

libvpx-vp9 appears to work on i420, i444 gives me half green bottom, NV12 doesn't work. Old VLC 2.1.5 have problem trying to play back vp9, but ffplay works. I am not sure if half green bottom on i444 is encoder or decoder problem.

Now then, how I got libvpx-vp9 is it just shows up under "matroska" container using my own compiled from source OBS-studio, together using pre-built ffmpeg version N-76331-gf8d429e built with gcc 5.2.0 (GCC)

Why would you like to use vp9 if i may ask?
Pretty sure x264 is better in almost all areas.

Though if extremely low bitrates is the thing then it would be better i assume, along with HEVC.

TriforceOfKirby

Why would you like to use vp9 if i may ask?
Pretty sure x264 is better in almost all areas.

Though if extremely low bitrates is the thing then it would be better i assume, along with HEVC.
From my experience VP9 works better than x264 in all areas; VP9 is supposed to be a competitor to x265 (VP8 is competitor for x264).

From most test result articles on VP9 vs x265 vs HEVC (example article), the x265 and VP9 codecs seem to be about on par with each other; however, VP9 seems to win out by a very small amount in most cases. Even if the difference between VP9 and x265 is negligible, I figure I would use VP9 if it's even just a little bit better.