Question / Help Can't properly import OBS recordings into Adobe Premiere

kamild_

Hello,
I wanted to import a local recording from OBS into Adobe Premiere but I'm unable to do that. It doesn't support .flv and when I use OBS's feature to remux it to .mp4, Adobe Premiere can only see the audio track. Adobe Media Encoder only sees it as an audio file as well, even though media players play it properly.
File information from MediaInfo: http://pastebin.com/cjmM6JwF
I'd really like to avoid converting/reencoding. Anything I could try get Premiere to cooperate?

Simes

From what I understand, Premiere doesn't like variable frame rate media very much, which your video seems to be. Try with fixed frame rate media (which ought to be the default coming out of OBS Studio).

kamild_

From what I understand, Premiere doesn't like variable frame rate media very much, which your video seems to be. Try with fixed frame rate media (which ought to be the default coming out of OBS Studio).
How do I turn it into fixed framerate? Is conversion needed?

Xaymar

I'm using the AMD VCE encoder and I can't find this option. @Xaymar, is it possible to change it?
As for the video which was already recorded - I guess I'll just have to convert this one?

Well, it's not the encoders fault. The AMF Encoder will output constant 60 fps if the input is also constant 60 fps. If it's not constant 60 fps then you'll get variable framerate with up to 60 fps. It all depends on OBS here, so OBS would have to duplicate frames and submit them to the encoder.

kamild_

Well, it's not the encoders fault. The AMF Encoder will output constant 60 fps if the input is also constant 60 fps. If it's not constant 60 fps then you'll get variable framerate with up to 60 fps. It all depends on OBS here, so OBS would have to duplicate frames and submit them to the encoder.
Thank you for replying. What else could I try? Or should I just give up the convenience of being able to edit videos straight out of OBS without any additional reencoding?
I'll be also checking out other video editors (I haven't purchased any, I'm trying them out beforehand). Tried DaVinci Resolve but it's sadly quite problematic.

Simes

In the first instance, it might be worth trying OBS at 30fps instead of 60. If you can get that at a solid constant framerate, your editors will be happy, and maybe that'd be a good starting point. Alternatively Handbrake will be able to re-encode them to fixed framerate for you.

Xaymar

Do you have the raw file uploaded somewhere?

Technically, it is impossible for the plugin to actually create variable framerate output unless your settings were too taxing for the GPU. And even then it would just skip them, causing a temporary nothing. However, there is no way the video could speed up higher than the fps that is set in OBS.
So what I think happened for your file is that the audio track is messed up. Do you have "Use Device Timestamps" checked for any of them? If so, that could have caused issues.
Unfortunately, without the raw file, i can't say what actually happened.

kamild_

Do you have the raw file uploaded somewhere?
Sadly my upload rate is very low and uploading a 3GB file would take literal days (given that my connection just doesn't restart in the meantime - it does so at least 2-3 times a day). Is there any more information I could provide?
Also where do I find this setting? In OBS or in Premiere?

Xaymar

Sadly my upload rate is very low and uploading a 3GB file would take literal days (given that my connection just doesn't restart in the meantime - it does so at least 2-3 times a day). Is there any more information I could provide?
Also where do I find this setting? In OBS or in Premiere?

You find the setting in OBS when you click the Gear Icon > Properties for Audio sources in the Mixer.

Edit: One thing you can attempt is splitting the video stream from the the file using ffmpeg: ffmpeg -i "filenamehere" -vcodec copy -an "outputfilenamehere". If you recorded to mkv, mkvtoolnix can also do this for you.

kamild_

You find the setting in OBS when you click the Gear Icon > Properties for Audio sources in the Mixer.
It was ticked... I'll disable it and try to do a recording later, for now thanks.

EDIT: Unticking this option in OBS sadly did not work. Also, splitting the video track to a separate file doesn't work either, Premiere just says that "the file has no audio/video streams" or "the file is damaged". I tried mp4, mkv, mov and avi.

EDIT: I had more luck after updating to Premiere CC 2017. Still had to split out the video stream but the .mp4 format now worked!

Last edited:

Orbanjo Gaming

TOOK ME 2 HOURS TO FIGURE THIS OUT! I had the same problem and this video is the solution. Something so simplle...... I hope this helps!!

Orbanjo Gaming

TOOK ME 2 HOURS TO FIGURE THIS OUT! I had the same problem and this video is the solution. Something so simplle...... I hope this helps!!

I see this article is old but hopefully it helps someone in the future!