Can't import *any* scene collection - silently fails - obs 29.1.1

ricflomag

I can't import any scene collection (even the simplest, just one empty scene). OBS silently fails : after selecting the collection(s) and clicking "import" in the dialog window, the "Scene collection" menu does not show the imported new collection(s).
  • Linux Mint 21.1
  • OBS 29.1.1 (deb or flatpak)
  • The log file does not show anything about the import process.
Can anyone reproduce this ?

Attachments

• 2023-05-10 00-25-26.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 55

Tanner Schultz

I can confirm that I am having the same issue. Importation of a scene collection silently fails.

FlatPak version of OBS 29.1.2 on Fedora Kinoite 37.

Ghostwish

Oh man. I just ran into this today. I'm making sure the box is checked and everything, but when I hit import? Nothing happens. My scenes are trapped on my old computer.

Ghostwish

So, I tried again, didn't change squat and.. it worked. Also, when searching for the missing items, it would find some in chunks, then find more, then find more, and then finish finding them all.

I think OBS is having some kind of file inconsistencies? This was most bizarre and I don't know how to put it better.

Harold

Do the scene collections you're trying to import have the same names as existing collections you already have?

IntelliRick

I'm having the same issue with 29.1.3. Exporting the Scene JSON from Windows to Linux. Both are 29.1.3.

I tried both - the collection name being different, then it being the same. Neither worked.

TwoCatsYelling

Having same issue here, but found a work-around.
So, I got it to work by importing the scene collection twice in the same import window.
See screenshot.

I'm on Pop! OS 22.04, and OBS 29.1.3.
Screenshot from 2023-09-19 18-28-47.png

Pyr0sa

[reposting here, in case it helps anyone else] OBS 29.1.3, installed as much as possible from packages -- NOT snapd.

I just did this import of OBS Scenes from Windows to Linux this week, and it actually worked fine. (Using latest OBS versions available to each platform), but there's a dead-simple fix: When you're on the Import screen, AFTER you have selected your file(s), there's a tiny little check-box field that bizarrely defaults to NOT being selected on the far left of each line. (?!?)
Click that little checkbox, and your JSON file(s) will import just fine.

PREREQUISITES:
Obviously you'll need to have manually copied ALL of your source files to the new system, installed ALL your OBS plugins, and restarted OBS *BEFORE* you attempt to import anything. (I think some folks aren't doing this first.)

After the import (w/the checkboxes clicked), go into every custom Plugin's Settings menu and change any absolute paths to files. (Windows paths are not usable in Linux, obviously.)

Then, go into each Scene component, and do the same. (Ex: Text element loading from a file --> point it to the new Linux file location.)

OBS itself likes to crash about once every 24H in Ubuntu 22.04.03/Gnome/latest, and Ubuntu has *never* understood the meaning of "stable branch" (don't even start me on this topic; I've run it at Tier 1 Telcos since 10.04). But a facepalm-inducing daily cron job and start service will work around those issues.

Kick/Pyr0sa