Can't get any audio from Elgato HD 60s+

Auxesia

Hello everyone,

Here's the thing. Last year, I bought an Elgato HD 60S+ with the intention to record some gameplays on my Nintendo Swich and Steamdeck. At first, I downloaded and installed OBS on my old iMac 2014. I could get the video stream from my device, but no sound. After some time, I succeed in getting the audio by just open/quit Game Capture HD, while OBS was runing. But in the end, the resulting videos I recorded were not great (720p@15fps at best).

So. I tried using my Steamdeck in desktop mode as a recording device. And same thing here, no audio coming from the device. Plus, while the video quality was way better, my Steamdeck was struggling to record the performance.

This week, I was able to set up a PC (Intel Core i5 8600K, GTX 1060, 8Gig of RAM, SSD for the system) and installed KDE Neon. The system runs great, and I was pretty impatient to test some capture using OBS on it. And the same issue rose : no audio from the device. And believe me, I tried everything. OBS settings (set the source right by adding an ALSA input device, the HD60s+ was showing in the drop down menu), PulseAudio settings, list the active USB devices using Terminal (the Elgato showed in there, as a video source and as an audio source). The vumeters wouldn't show any movments (yes, I did set the audio as monitoring). I even tried to get the audio from the jack (from the headset plug of the Switch), still nothing.

This is … well. Frustrating. Because desktop audio works fine, I can hear it, I can record it. Jack microphone works also great. I yet have to test my USB mic in order to see if there is something wrong with USB audio passthrough. And video recording looks just great (1080p@60fps).

My guess here is that in order to unlock the full capacities of the Elgato HD 60s+, even if it's an UVC device, you have to run it with the Elgato proprietary drivers, just for a second. Without it, you're just stuck with only video, and no audio. Because on macos audio immediately came out after launching Game Capture HD, which is not supported on Linux (according to their staff, Linux users constitutes a too small percentage of their users, so, why spent time and money on developping full support on Linux ? And because it's an UVC device, it should "theoretically" run fine. I guess they haven't tried to test it on Linux at all).

I'm out of solutions, I have litteraly turned stones on the Internet trying to find some clues (here on this forum, elswhere like Reddit), tried every keywords imaginable.

Thank you :)

Auxesia

Just in case, the usual log file from OBS, where there is nothing that noticeable (failed to load some decklink capture things, but it is not of importance here, something linked to VAAPI but it's just for video). At the end, there is the usb test, which was conclusive.

So, still scratching my head at what could've been wrong.

Attachments

• 2023-12-06 11-34-27.txt
    16 KB · Views: 10