Question / Help Cant do "Slow" on 720p60 with 4790k

Herolordman

I have a 4790k and OBS cant handle 720p60 on "slow". It hovers around 80% CPU usage and gives me a choppy video (even with preview turned off). Medium works, but it only uses about 40% CPU. I wish there was a setting that used more like 65%. Also, I thought that a 4790k would handle slow easily. I am capturing a ps4 with a black magic card btw.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
"Slow" is much, much more CPU-intensive than Medium. Like, a lot. The fact that a 4790k can't handle it at 720p60 is not surprising at all.

Herolordman

Since it is way more cpu intensive, is there a way to make it use alot more processing than medium, but still be less intensive than slow? I was told that the 4790k was thee one to get, and its a stream box (the games are on ps4).

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
The real question you should ask yourself is "Is Slow quality really *that* much better than Medium in exchange for the massive increase in CPU usage?" Because the answer is no. The quality difference is marginal at best, if you can even notice it.

It sounds to me like you want higher CPU usage simply because you think that higher CPU usage means you're getting better video quality. If you actually compare video quality, I sincerely doubt you'll actually notice a difference. It's not worth it.

Herolordman

I can tell the difference, especially between slow and medium at 1080p30. 1080p30 on slow at 3500 looks perfect, but my CPU hovers around 80-90% even though it's a 4790k oc'd to 4.7ghz. Will k be able to do 1080p30 on slow if I use the windows version of OBS rather than Mac?