Can't Capture Second Display (Thunderbolt Port on internal GPU)

mattvolatile

I just bought myself an Intel Ghost Canyon NUC (NUC9i9QNX) with an Asus RTX 2070 Mini, specifically to use with OBS.

I have a monitor (Ilyama) plugged into the DisplayPort port on the RTX, and a USB-C monitor (Asus Zenscreen GO 15.6" MB16AP) plugged into one of the NUC's USB-C Thunderbolt port. I initially had real issues getting the Asus monitor to work at all -- with a PCIe graphics card installed, the BIOS had disabled the internal onboard GPU, meaning no monitors would work when plugged into ports on the Compute Unit. Getting the BIOS to load both GPUs solved that particular problem, and Windows now shows both the NVIDIA and the Intel display adapters.

Now I come to set things up in OBS, and the ASUS monitor just isn't visible to OBS for Display Capture, even if OBS itself is visible on that screen. Whilst I could run OBS on the external monitor and capture the Ilyama, I would *prefer* to have OBS open on my main monitor and display capture the portable screen if possible -- is there any way to do that, even though the two monitors are on different GPUs? Obviously I need to keep OBS running on the RTX for streaming and encoding purposes!

jexxaj

same issue on a HP omen with AMD Ryzen and Nvidia dedicated GPU. Can on see Nvidia connected ext display, and not the laptop internal display in display option.

RogerD

Same for me. Dell laptop into Thunderbolt dock driving two DP monitors. I can capture applications and show, but not what the monitor itself is showing with possibly multiple windows open.

mattvolatile

Coming back here to ask -- is Screen Capturing secondary GPUs literally impossible, given how Windows and OBS handles graphics cards? The more I understand how all the ingredients work, the more I think I understand that it's physically impossible to capture a screen that's not plugged into the GPU on which OBS is running.

Is that right?