Canopus ADVC-100 not recognized as a video capture device

FrameDropper

I'm digitizing some VHS tapes using a VCR, Windows 10, and a Canopus ADVC-100 (which uses a Firewire connection to desktop's installed Firewire card) .. .this setup works properly using WinDV, which is smaller/older capture software. In other words, when I have the VCR playing and I open up WinDV, it detects the capture hardware and one can see on the monitor the videotape being played.

But when I have the VCR playing and I open up OBS and go down to Sources, click on "+" then click on "Video Capture Device" then go to "Device", the only two choices I get are "AV/C Tape Recorder/Player" and "OBS Virtual Camera." Neither one shows any evidence of detecting the playing VCR. Any thoughts? I guess I could go back to using WinDV, although it's certainly not as current and probably not as flexible as OBS.

Or is there a (preferably free) video software package that supports capturing as well as editing, etc.??

Peter Dickow

I'm digitizing some VHS tapes using a VCR, Windows 10, and a Canopus ADVC-100 (which uses a Firewire connection to desktop's installed Firewire card) .. .this setup works properly using WinDV, which is smaller/older capture software. In other words, when I have the VCR playing and I open up WinDV, it detects the capture hardware and one can see on the monitor the videotape being played.

But when I have the VCR playing and I open up OBS and go down to Sources, click on "+" then click on "Video Capture Device" then go to "Device", the only two choices I get are "AV/C Tape Recorder/Player" and "OBS Virtual Camera." Neither one shows any evidence of detecting the playing VCR. Any thoughts? I guess I could go back to using WinDV, although it's certainly not as current and probably not as flexible as OBS.

Or is there a (preferably free) video software package that supports capturing as well as editing, etc.??
Did you ever get a reply? I'm having a similar issue

AaronD

Shotcut is a free, open-source video editor that claims to capture too, but I haven't used it for that. So I can't comment on how well it actually works. I really like the editor itself though!

ikejohn

This is my exact issue as well, although I have the ADVC-110. Have you found a solution or software? I also have WinDV...and Adobe unfortunately just recently removed their Capture ability.

dofek

This is my exact issue as well, although I have the ADVC-110. Have you found a solution or software? I also have WinDV...and Adobe unfortunately just recently removed their Capture ability.
premiere pro 23 still has the capturing feature.