Question / Help Can I Use A Canon HV20 Mini DV Handicam with OBS?

Jason Moffatt

I've been trying to connect a Cannon HV20 Mini DV Handicam into OBS but it's not showing up as one of the video capture devices.

I'm trying to connect using the firewire port but to no avail. I just ordered a HDMI to USB hoping that will do the trick but not sure if that will work either.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Jason

Harold

If the camera doesn't expose the correct software interface when connected, it can't be used directly.
What hdmi to usb did you order?

c3r1c3

Firewire will not work unless you have a Firewire to DirectShow live video output driver. I remember those existing in the Windows 2000 and XP days, but a quick Google search ( https://www.google.com/webhp?source...#q=firewire+DV+camera+to+directshow+windows+7 ) didn't show anything that I could quickly link to... In other words, you're gonna have to dig and try to find it yourself.

That said, using some type of HDMI input device that is compatible with Classic or Studio is a good way to deal with the issue... but USB usually isn't the best way to go. You didn't state what the capture device is, and you didn't state if you're using Studio or Classic. Stating those would be helpful in trying to help you.

Jason Moffatt

Firewire will not work unless you have a Firewire to DirectShow live video output driver. I remember those existing in the Windows 2000 and XP days, but a quick Google search ( https://www.google.com/webhp?source...#q=firewire+DV+camera+to+directshow+windows+7 ) didn't show anything that I could quickly link to... In other words, you're gonna have to dig and try to find it yourself.

That said, using some type of HDMI input device that is compatible with Classic or Studio is a good way to deal with the issue... but USB usually isn't the best way to go. You didn't state what the capture device is, and you didn't state if you're using Studio or Classic. Stating those would be helpful in trying to help you.

I'm using Studio. As for the capture device, I'm not exactly sure what that means. I'm just running straight from the Canon HV20 handicam into a iMac. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Harold

That converter isn't going to work for what you want.
"Only support can provide charging, cannot pass the video data"
You're going to need a GOOD capture card to use that camera.

c3r1c3

That also would be something good to mention at the start... that you're using an iMac.

I'm pretty sure that adapter won't do what you're expecting/looking for it to do.

As Harold stated, you're going to need a good capture card... You'll want to do a lot of research before purchasing anything though.

Jason Moffatt

That converter isn't going to work for what you want.
"Only support can provide charging, cannot pass the video data"
You're going to need a GOOD capture card to use that camera.

Any chance you could recommend one that would work well with my Mac? I'm a bit confused on which to buy to do the job. Thank you.