Can I recover the files somewhere?

roguebean

Ok this is a weird one and I'm pretty certain it wasn't an OBS issue that caused it, but a Windows one...

So I had a livestream happening this morning - using the exact same settings and the exact same internet connections etc that I have had no problems with, having reliable and stable streams for months now.

I think that at some point my internet lost connection - which obviously caused the stream to pause with the data (i think) building up to send once the connection was re-established.

Unfortunately, at the same time as the internet connection resetting, Windows 10 decided it needed to do some updates so it wouldn't let me open, let alone adjust any settings. It wouldn't recognise that the router had been reset, it wouldn't let me select any other sort of connection (switch to wifi, switch to a USB modem), or any other network. I even tried all the command prompt reset network adapter help that I could find. It actually really pisses me off that Windows randomly decides that it's going to stop things working to force you to restart your computer (especially if you're using said computer for something that you can't just stop and restart the computer in the meantime!).

Anyway, I have now reset the computer and miracle of miracles... everything is working again!

Is there anyway to access the data that had been streaming while the connection was lost or is it gone forever now that the computer has reset?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2020-09-27 09-04-53.txt
    32.1 KB · Views: 5

FerretBomb

No, unless you are recording locally along with streaming, the stream video is not saved anywhere on the system.
From the logfile it does look like you recorded for about two minutes, but not at the same time as streaming.

On a side note, you should NEVER stream over wifi. Wifi is NOT a replacement for a network cable; it's meant as a lightweight content-consumption connection for mobile devices, is not designed for reliable throughput (which streaming relies on), and is extremely subject to interference.

roguebean

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the case but was kind of hoping against hope.

Yeah my normal set-up doesn't use wifi for that reason. The building that I'm in doesn't actually have an internet connection its something that we're working on - I have to use a mobile data (4G) connection which is directly connected to my computer as an ethernet connection, through a USB 3.0 port. The computer is the only connection to the unit, the data signal is normally completely reliable, and I try to shut down all other processes on the computer that would use the connection while I'm streaming (close dropbox, onedrive, etc).
It's not ideal, but it is what we have access to.