Can I / how do I stream in 25 fps on Youtube

benoitvm

Test streaming session encoded/sent in 25 fps from OBS to Youtube ended up being transcoded (relatively poorly) by YT to 30 fps.
Did I miss something ?
Is PAL frame rate (25/50) ignored by YouTube Studio ? If so, what would give the best results (smoothest video) : let YT do the framerate change or have OBS do it ?

benoitvm

Help anyone ?
Not sure who's the culprit, but I just ran a new test, and the final YT downloadable video is definitely 30 fps, while the OBS project and streaming settings was set to 25 fps...
Is there a way to keep the 25 fps framerate with Youtube Live streaming ???

benoitvm

you need to encode your stream with 25 fps.
Done that
set the target frame rate to 25 and then check.
Under Settings/Video, it is set to 25 fps....did I miss another place ??
NB: I have set recording to "same as stream" and the resulting recorded file is indeed 25 fps
Unless I overlooked a place to specify the desired framerate, I stick with the Telestream forum explanation mentioned by koala...

benoitvm

According to this thread https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com/t/83h3wlt/streaming-1080p25-youtube-1080p30 it seems Youtube recodes the VODs from a 25 fps live stream to 30 fps. If you watch a 25 fps stream live, it is actually 25 fps, but if you download the video later, it is recoded to 30 fps. There is nothing that can be done on the OBS side. If you need to rely on a perfect vod, you should probably stream with 30 fps in the first place.
after some more Youtube testing here, I can't never get 25 fps either live or with later download; it is always 30 whatever I try (with 25 fps at OBS output). Not catastrophic but every 5th frame gets duplicated (poor man's 25->30 fps conversion) creating a slightly stuttering video. Obviously this is not an OBS issue...but it questions the thread mentioned. I wish Google/Youtube would no longer ignore the ex-PAL side of the world....