Question / Help Camera recommendations?

Scarlet Impaler

Hello!

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm having trouble finding a camera that works on OBS and has good macro and auto-focus functions. I want to live stream lightsaber building and its extremely hard to focus on the fine details and to show what I'm doing with my Logitech C920 (small soldering joints, star LED pads, small PCBs, etc etc).

Preferably something in the $500 range, but might be willing to go higher.

Thank you!
-Scarlet Impaler

If you want details crisp 'webcam' well its really switching to using an actual digital camera that has hdmi out, then use a capture card to capture that live feed from the camera. Make sure which ever you buy does have an option to use an ac power adapter so the obvious it doesn't need to run on batteries as in we streamers/recorders require always on option.

Can't suggest specific because digital cameras come in all sorts specs and price ranges and I don't know the cheapest best bang for the buck either. Simply put any digital camera that takes photos or videos that have hdmi out and can be plugged into with a power adapter.

As for hdmi capture cards, i'd suggest that can do 60fps since digital cameras have that option
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD - 720p60fps / 1080p30fps
StarTech USB3HDCAP - 1080p60fps
Elgato HD60 / Pro / S - 1080p60fps

Last edited:

Cryonic

A capture card is a must.
One of my friends is using a 4K panasonic camcorder ( HC-WX979 ) with a USB power input (thats a huge point, not only nice to have, but also saves you money and the space for the usual battery grip that is present on a DSLR) with a Blackmagic Intensity 4K capture card.
Total cost for him: 200$ for the capture card, around 550$ for the camcorder.
This is limited to 4K 30 or 1080p 60FPS.

Advantage: thats everything you need, no additional stuff like battery grips etc needed, the power adapter etc is in the box. The camcorder is actually useful outside of streaming, vlogs etc, whatever you do.
And the capture card can be used later for console capture or a dual PC setup.
Disadvantage: that capture card takes up the PCI-e slot in your PC and does not work with laptops. It is a bit more expensive, but you always have the option to go lower or grab a used camera cheaper. And it does look worse than a capable SLR or system camera will give you, specially compared to something high end like a GH4 - there are WORLDS between them. And a couple thousands since the GH4 was like 2000$ for the body, the GH5 is currently avaliable.

P.S. dont take fisheye cameras like action cams, that will work but will make you look really bad while doing it.

Scarlet Impaler

Ah, okay, good stuff. Then it looks the capture card is the missing piece. Sounds pretty noobish now that I realize that, haha. Looks like I won't be returning the Canon Vixia R82 I just bought. That has everything you guys mentioned I'd need.

I think I'll go with the StarTech USB3HDCAP for this, so I can use it while traveling.

Thanks guys!

wrice4

+1 on using a dslr. Much better quality than a webcam, but you have to be able to afford it. I also recommend the Elgato HD60 Pro, as I use 2 of them, and had the original Elgato HD. Never have had a problem with any of them.

cristianu

If you want details crisp 'webcam' well its really switching to using an actual digital camera that has hdmi out, then use a capture card to capture that live feed from the camera. Make sure which ever you buy does have an option to use an ac power adapter so the obvious it doesn't need to run on batteries as in we streamers/recorders require always on option.

Can't suggest specific because digital cameras come in all sorts specs and price ranges and I don't know the cheapest best bang for the buck either. Simply put any digital camera that takes photos or videos that have hdmi out and can be plugged into with a power adapter.

As for hdmi capture cards, i'd suggest that can do 60fps since digital cameras have that option
AVerMedia Live Gamer HD - 720p60fps / 1080p30fps
StarTech USB3HDCAP - 1080p60fps
Elgato HD60 / Pro / S - 1080p60fps
Estimado, te hablo desde Chile, me ayudas con una consulta. debo transmitir por youtube y OBS, pero debo buscar una camara que me permita tomar 2 planos con objetivos que estan a 30 metros y no usar webcam, crees que me puedas ayudar con ese dato. Gracias

Dear, I speak to you from Chile, help me with a consultation. I must transmit on YouTube and OBS, but I must find a camera that allows me to take 2 planes with targets that are 30 meters away and not use a webcam, you think you can help me with that data. Thank you

PVidal

Can I use a Nikon COOLPIX B500 as my video input? I want to live stream our church services and before I engage in getting a new digital camera, I would like to know if I can use this one that I already have. A friend of mine has OBS on his laptop and he is much more experienced in the software than I am and he told me that is not possible.

If that is the case: can you recommend me digital cameras I can use for our church live streamings? We already have the capture box for the video and we will use the church digital sound mixer for the sound. We are focused on the video. Thanks in advance for your suggestions / advice.