Question / Help Camera not showing up in video capture device

dsilguero

Hello,
I'm brand new to obs and plan on using it alongside restream.io to livestream church services to Facebook and YouTube at the same time. I have a Canon Rebel T5i that I'm trying to use to do the livestream. While the camera is on and connected to the computer, I open up a new source and select video capture device, but the drop down bar is gray and there are no options to select. It might be just getting my computer to recognize the camera, I have the EOS Utility app and I've been able to do the live view shoot thing, but that's as close as I've gotten.
Any help is very apprectiated,
Thanks

ivanko

I am gettin that you are connected via usb cord, right? as far as a i know, the only way to use you camera like this is by setting up a window capture and cropping the eos utility window to show the part where the video is. In order to use your canon as a video capture device you would need a proper hdmi cable and video capture card (!!! the hdmi port on your computer will not work as it is an output not input !!!)

i think this video explains exactly what you are trying to do:

FerretBomb

DSLR cameras cannot be used as webcams.
The EOS app does provide a low-quality preview over USB, but does NOT present as a webcam device, and only provides a very poor quality version of the image the camera is capturing.

You will need an HDMI capture device such as an Elgato Camlink to use your DSLR as a webcam/video capture device.
Before you buy one, make SURE you plug the camera into a TV to see what it is outputting over HDMI. Canon cameras are notorious for NOT providing 'clean' HDMI output, and instead baking the UI graphics over the image, making it unusable. Some models can use custom firmware like MagicLantern to remove this, but not all.

Alternate to this, you can just Window Capture and crop down the EOS app if you are OK with poor-quality video.

So, here’s the head scratcher.
How come ecamm can do it beautifully?
I can, but I hate it, NDI @1080 out of ECamm, into Obs....
There’s some loss in quality, and obviously the CPU.
and it’s total plug and play,

OBS NEEDS THIS WIZARDRY!

Attachments

• 6FB02DB8-1BD9-4A99-A947-8D0947BACCAA.jpeg
    6FB02DB8-1BD9-4A99-A947-8D0947BACCAA.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 637
yeah, that was PRE eos/web utility. now that i have it though, both on my MAc and my PC. The image is kind of garbage. maybe i have something set wrong. Using my Camlink I get a great 1080p/60 picture. Using the web utility it gives me no options, and a SD, questionable frame rate resolution. I know its just a beta, but....