Question / Help Broadcast Delay Device

mrwillya

So I added a broadcast delay device which provides up to 7 seconds of audio delay from my mixer. My OBS is setup to receive sound only directly from my mixer, so only one audio source. The device allows me to dump the prior 7 seconds if someone says something against Twitch TOS.

So I'm having difficulty getting this set up. How do I get all of the video objects to be delayed by the 7 seconds? When I put -7000ms in the "Sync Offset" for my mixer, it doesn't appear to do anything. I also tried to render delays and that ends up taking a ton of system resources and freezes my stream.

I know this is a very uncommon setup and I'm really struggling with it.

Narcogen

The render delay is the right way to do that, I think. I'm just not sure the performance hit is avoidable, since it uses system resources to buffer those 7 seconds of video. The higher a resolution and framerate you're trying to do that, the more resources it would consume. I honestly don't know where OBS would try to put those frames, but if it's on the GPU then it's going to affect the performance of that, and if it's in system memory, then it's going to slow things down because those frames will have to be copied and stored and then copied again.

Just browsing B&H for pro standard def video broadcast delay hardware shows devices that buffer only 16 frames and cost thousands of dollars.

OBS has an advanced setting that delays the entire stream, could you use that and a hotkey to mute audio sources instead of the broadcast delay device? I think that method may use fewer resources as I think that's buffering frames after everything has been compressed-- I think the video delay is doing it before?

I'm honestly just speculating here, but you might want to investigate how that setting works.