Blue Yeti not capturing sound

CrimsonCavalier

I received my Yeti microphone in the mail today, and I believe it is damaged, but I wanted to ask here first before I do any returns.

I currently use a Samson GoMic to record audio, and it has not had any issues.

The Yeti will not capture sound unless I am essentially yelling into the microphone and then it only catches this very garbled static sound. You can listen to it here (Headphone warning!)
I have tried going into the Windows sound settings and selecting Default and the Yeti mic, but neither works. I have also tried to adjust the settings on OBS, but that hasn't yielded any results either.

Just to make sure it wasn't just Windows, I tried using it on my Mac, and it made the same exact horrible sounds when I tried to record there, and had the same issue of not capturing any sound at all, unless I yelled into it.

This is why I think it is the microphone itself, but I'm not a particularly big tech guy, so I wanted to make sure.

digitaldias

I had some similar issues with my Blue Yeti. It was recording very low in some programs, like Teams and OBS.
What I had to do was to NOT let programs manage its volume, so:
Hit start, type "Control Panel" to bring up your classic control panel:

Control Panel (classic) -> Hardware & Sound -> Sound
  • Click "Recording", scroll down to your Microphone Yeti, and hit "Properties"
  • Select "Advanced"
  • Under "Exclusive mode", tick OFF "Let programs take control over this thing" (loosely translated)
This did it for me.

CrimsonCavalier

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it did not work. It's not recording low; it's not recording at all.

Still, that's a good one to know in case I have issues in the future!