Black space added to recording

Ruud84

So I am trying to record an application window that has a aspect ratio of 9:16 (vertical). This all works well using Window Capture (Xcomposite).

However after I recorded it and play it back, I can see that black space has been added to the video making it loose its vertical orientation.

Hope I explained myself correctly, Video editing is not my profession. :)

jnon

I believe with window capture it's still going to use the base canvas resolution of your monitor. Check the aspect ratio setting in Video and see what it is set to.
You probably don't want to try to rescale as it will probably turn blurry. You could just crop out the parts that you don't need in an editing program later.

AaronD

Like jnon said, the base canvas is always what the output will be, regardless of any sources. (Think beyond any one specific use. What would the other uses want? That goes a long way in telling you what to expect in a general-purpose thing like OBS.)

Change the canvas to what you want the final output to be, and build your scene(s) from there.
1674444857181.png

As you might guess, you can't change that partway through a recording or stream. The entire thing is going to be what you set here. (screens don't change size, so neither does the thing that plays on them) If your content has a mix of sizes, pick something standard for your output to be, and accept that not everything will fit perfectly.