Question / Help Black screen when recording fullscreen on PC??

MEGGIECAT

I've just started streaming on Twitch, I've been able to stream games like Binding of Isaac in windowed/borderless mode, but if I try and capture any kind of full screen game, all I get is a black screen. I've tried 2 games so far (The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit and Assassins Creed Black Flag), I recently uninstalled and reinstalled as somebody suggested to me (lost all my scenes in the process), I've run OBS as admin and that seems to make no difference, and unfortuantly I'm not a very technical person and I really need some help with this! If anyone could give me an idea of why this is happening and help me to solve it, it would really mean a lot as I want to be able to stream some better games! Thank you in advance!

Harold

You should be using game capture.
You also should not be relying on the preview window to see if OBS is capturing the game as long as the game is running in fullscreen (not borderless or windowed) while the game is minimized. You should be doing test recordings or streams and checking the recordings after the test or checking the stream on a separate device.

MEGGIECAT

You should be using game capture.
You also should not be relying on the preview window to see if OBS is capturing the game as long as the game is running in fullscreen (not borderless or windowed) while the game is minimized. You should be doing test recordings or streams and checking the recordings after the test or checking the stream on a separate device.
Thank you for your advice! I'm using game capture, and I did some test recordings with Assassins Creed Black Flag this morning - I managed to capture the audio perfectly fine but for some reason it was still showing up as a black screen?? I made sure that the red box in the preview screen was set to *stretch to screen* and still nothing. I'm so confused as to why it's happening, have I got a setting on or something that's causing the black screen??

koala

I think Harold was trying to say that if you have only one monitor and are minimizing your fullscreen game to check the OBS preview, you will see a black screen in OBS. This happens, because the game will not update its graphics in fullscreen mode, if it is minimized.
Did you actually try recording? Start your game fullscreen, start OBS recording with a hotkey and without bringing OBS into the foreground. Stop the recording with hotkey, and after that, check the video. It should contain the game.

MEGGIECAT

I think Harold was trying to say that if you have only one monitor and are minimizing your fullscreen game to check the OBS preview, you will see a black screen in OBS. This happens, because the game will not update its graphics in fullscreen mode, if it is minimized.
Did you actually try recording? Start your game fullscreen, start OBS recording with a hotkey and without bringing OBS into the foreground. Stop the recording with hotkey, and after that, check the video. It should contain the game.
Hi there! I just followed your advice and still only captured audio and a black screen? I must have a setting going wrong somewhere....here is my log for when I followed your advice:
https://hastebin.com/kuhojaweno

koala

Unfortunately, your log neither contains a recording or streaming attempt, nor any sign of you starting the game you want to capture.

By the way, if you record with these settings (base resolution of 1680x1050, a 16:10 aspect ratio, downscaled to 1280x720, a 16:9 ratio, you get a distorted video. It is vertically squeezed. Make sure both resolutions are the same aspect ratio.

MEGGIECAT

Unfortunately, your log neither contains a recording or streaming attempt, nor any sign of you starting the game you want to capture.

By the way, if you record with these settings (base resolution of 1680x1050, a 16:10 aspect ratio, downscaled to 1280x720, a 16:9 ratio, you get a distorted video. It is vertically squeezed. Make sure both resolutions are the same aspect ratio.
Sorry! I think I sent you the wrong one! (Like I said, I'm not very technical whoops)
Please see this one instead:
https://hastebin.com/ozuzuyohog

MEGGIECAT

If anyone has any idea what the problem is I'd really appreciate it because I'm very close to giving up on OBS unfortuantly..

D3T3KTIV

If anyone has any idea what the problem is I'd really appreciate it because I'm very close to giving up on OBS unfortuantly..
Try reinstalling OBS but install it in default folder, it should be C: > Program Files > obs-studio
I had the same problem and this worked for me so u can give it a try