Question / Help Black Screen or static image recorded on SteamPlay/Proton games

leillo1975

Hello

I can't record the most of SteamPlay/Proton games. When I try to record, I only see a black screen or a Static Image of the game. I try to capture the game's window or the entire screen, but the result are the same.

I use Ubuntu 18.04, with a Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (396.54)

Narcogen

Pretty sure Proton uses Vulkan, which means I don't think OBS can capture it at all.

UPDATE: As per below this appears to NOT be the issue.

Last edited:

shaolin

obs Linux doesn't have a game capture. All window are captured via xgl so it doesn't matter if its vulkan/opengl. It might be something else.

Please provide logs and as much info as possible

leillo1975

Hello again
I finally found the way to capture the screen with proton, after update my graphic drivers to 396.54.0x (i don't remind it), If I play in a Window, I can capture the game (in fullscreen only a black or static image).
About Vulkan and OBS. I streamed a lot of Vulkan linux native games like F1 2017, Rise of Tomb Raider and more without problems, so I think that's not the problem

Luis Alvarado

Correct I tested with Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10 and 19.04. Doing live streaming now or recording will throw a black screen the moment the steam game (native or using proton) if I set it to fullscreen. It was working correctly for me in the previous version before 23.1

TromboneSteve

I had several different problems streaming with OBS Studio in Linux Mint for liek two years. I realized last week that something to do with Cinnamon, my desktop environment, was causing all my problems. I installed and switched to the Mate DE, disabled all compositing, and disabled flipping in the nvidia settings. Window capture now works perfectly with every game I've tried so far.

So in my case, disabling compositing and disabling some features in the GPU settings seems to be what fixed all my window capture problems. Cinnamon has an option to disable compositing for full screen applications, but I don't think it actually works. I had to switch to Mate to actually disable compositing. I've seen that people tend to have the same type of problems with XFCE.