Question / Help Bitrate locked at 3500 kbps. Configured @ 20000 kbps (Recording)

Kiwi5life

Whenever I try to record a game for my youtube channel I am forced to go 720p30 because the bitrate in practice does not go higher than 3500

configured is 20 000 kbps
recorded: 3 500 kbps, spiking to 3 600

OBS seems to ignore every input i make except for resolutions

I want to record 1080p with OBS MP which would be good if it would record with the settings given.

I'm using OBS 0.12.3 (Windows)
On Windows 7

Edit: Yes, I'm using CBR to try and enforce the bitrate

Kiwi5life

There ya go.

Edit: Enabling Aero does not make a difference

Attachments

• 2016-01-20 22-34-17.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 155

Osiris

I'm guessing you have the "Enforce streaming service encoder settings" option checked and set the Encoder on the Recording tab to "(Use stream encoder)". Then yeah, also your recording will be limited to the stream's maximum bitrate.

Your cpu isn't really powerful enough to support 2 encoders and playing a game though.
You could use NVENC as encoder for recording, but that would mean you need to upgrade to Windows 10.

Kiwi5life

What exactly do you mean 2 encoders?

I managed to record Fallout 4 with no problems whatsoever. The loading times in the game isn't even affected.

Since windows 10 removed all my software that seemed suspicious (like my Comodo Firewall) I prefer to stay at windows 7 which i tweaked down to 900 MB to increase performance overall.
Windows 8 frustrates the living hell out of me so do not get me started on that.

And NVENC is not operating system specific. It depends on the type of graphics card you use and utilizes the processor on it for NVENC to work.
Don't know how Vista would fare but hey.

Nvenc recorded files won't play further than 10 seconds, roughly.
Editing these would also be pointless as playback is buggy.
jumping to a different timestamp would cause the audio to replay from the beginning and the video feed freezes.
This has not yet happened in x264

Like Osiris said, you probably have "Enforce Streaming Service Encoder Settings checked. You can see by going to the record settings tab and you should see the selection and whether it's checked or not. If it is, it'll bypass whatever record settings you have and match your streaming settings. Also, NVENC for OBS Multiplatform only supports Windows 10, fyi. Old OBS supports the older Windows versions.

Kiwi5life

I could go to the beta OBS instead of the Multi Platform to use NVENC.. But like i mentioned before, NVENC recorded videos are only playable after 10 seconds and then just freeze in place with only audio still playing.

Again, that's more my system than anything else.

I unchecked the setting like said, this helped out, now it's doing what i want it to :)
Thanks!