Question / Help Best X264 Settings

mboitnott

Hello,
I used to use a Matrox Monarch HDX for encoding, but continually have had some issues with it. So for our company I decided to move towards an OBS/laptop solution. We purchased a New 2018 Macbook Pro with a 22.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 356 GB SSD, and the Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB RAN, and a Intel UHD Graphic 630.

I thought this laptop would be plenty beefy enough to run a 720p stream with a local recording, which it did, but kept giving me encoder overload warnings. I am wondering what settings would be best with the x264. This time I did everything in default: no scaling, veryfast, keyframe 0, and a 2500 bitrate for the stream and record. Also it was 720p at 30 fps. More relevant info, my system is an HD sony camera, going to a BlackMagic television studio, and to an AJA UTAP SDI to USB3 converter.

Will going up to ultrafast kill the quality? Did I not get a powerful enough laptop? Anyone have any idea what quality the Matrox Monarch HDX would encode at? Any general guidance here would be helpful.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
An i7 should be plenty beefy for encoding at veryfast.

Try this guide, and if it's not enough, please post a log. Keep an eye on Activity Monitor.

Personally I find it hard to recommend Macs for anything related to OBS due to the many limitations of macOS itself, including related to capturing and encoding. I'm a big fan of laptops with Nvidia 10xx GPUs as they're usually desktop grade and support NVENC, which barely requires CPU.

mboitnott

Thanks for the reply. The most strain seems to come from getting to video from my camera system at the start. I think receiving the uncompressed video creates some major tax on the GPU. My goal is to run two instances of OBS, so that I can have a backup stream. However this means it actually splits that camera image and reallllly stresses the GPU. I have the log if you would like to see it.

One other thing, the main concern here is that it causes my Mac to get very hot when I run two instances.

Attachments

• 2018-11-29 07-50-39.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 252