Question / Help best way to capture iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAMvsGAME

i'm looking into recording my iPhone but it insanely lags on window capture. I would rather avoid display capture, but is it my only choice if i want to use my mba?

amsyar ZeRo

i'm looking into recording my iPhone but it insanely lags on window capture. I would rather avoid display capture, but is it my only choice if i want to use my mba?

What type of scene are you using?Maybe you could use Video Capture Device?

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Window capture performs very badly on large windows due to the way capture works on OS X. Display capture is probably the most performant solution other than a capture card.

XoaGray

If you're using a Mac computer, connect your iphone to your Mac via the Lightning cable.
Then open Quicktime player
Select file, new movie recording.
Then click on the little arrow to the right of the record button and choose the video and audio source as iPhone.
If you're having issues with lag (if you're on an older Mac,) try setting the quality lower.

Some tips.
Double click your iPhone's home button and clear out any programs. It will free up memory for the one you want to record.
Shut down other applications on your Mac, it's best if you're only running Quicktime on your Mac, and the program you want to record on your phone.

I do this on my 6 year old Macbook Pro and the results are pretty good! Here's an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chg-C8xBKWY

Hope this helps.

If you're using a Mac computer, connect your iphone to your Mac via the Lightning cable.
Then open Quicktime player
Select file, new movie recording.
Then click on the little arrow to the right of the record button and choose the video and audio source as iPhone.
If you're having issues with lag (if you're on an older Mac,) try setting the quality lower.

Some tips.
Double click your iPhone's home button and clear out any programs. It will free up memory for the one you want to record.
Shut down other applications on your Mac, it's best if you're only running Quicktime on your Mac, and the program you want to record on your phone.

I do this on my 6 year old Macbook Pro and the results are pretty good! Here's an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chg-C8xBKWY

Hope this helps.

I've done this method and been able to capture it within OBS as a Window Capture, with no issues. It will take some power from your video card tho, so be wary!

MegaDan64

I'm late to the party and new to both streaming and OBS. I was thinking there might be a couple iOS games that would be fun to stream. My follow up question to everyones tips here is, does using Quicktime Movie Recording also capture audio? Or is there a specific audio channel I need to set up as an input? May be a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask while getting this set up. Thanks

amsyar ZeRo

@MegaDan64 No,you still need to use a virtual audio grabber like Soundflower,iShowU Audio Capture or Sound Siphon to get audio on Mac,regardless what recording program do you use.

Kearstin

Personally, I hated using Quicktime for mirroring my idevices. I ended up supporting this program called Reflector 2. I love it.

jeffcard

As far as I know, there are two options for you to record iPhone screen.
1.Use QuickTime. Firstly, connect your iPhone to Mac via lightning connector. Then,open QuickTime. Click “File” > “New Movie Recording”. A recording window will pop up, just click the little arrow on it and choose your iPhone from the drop-down menu. Lastly, press “Record” button and you can start recording screen on iPhone.
2.Use some third party software like Acethinker iPhone screen recorder. It supports both Windows and Mac. With this tool, you can connect your iPhone with your computer wirelessly via AirPlay. When it's connected, your iPhone screen will be projected on the computer and there will be a recording button for you to record your iPhone screen.

Last edited:

ToriHanabi

QuickTime is freaking horrible! When I'm livestreaming on twitch it'll suddenly freeze and I have to close out and relaunch, so I can't just get into what I'm doing, I have to literally babysit the stupid thing. Can't OBS add a device screen capture for iPad, iPhone and others like it instead? QuickTime is also a memory hog. It freezes even if all I have open is that and OBS. I got OBS because QT is so unreliable and fussy in the first place And from what I've seen other third party screen-mirror type apps can be just as bad and cost money. Not to mention it's more work for the computer. It would be nice if we could just do it all from one spot.

Would be nice to have a mobile OBS so we can stream to twitch or anywhere else straight from the device. iOS actually has a screen recording code but very few applications actually use it for some weird reason.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I'm locking this thread because it has basically become a honeypot for spam and bots to post links to their own crappy iPhone recording software, or spamming links to "help" sites. I've had to delete, like, 10-15 posts on this thread since it was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.