Question / Help Best Settings For Elgato HD60 @1080p 60FPS

willowen100

Hey everyone

I have an Elgato HD60 and I discovered the OBS software which I find extremely powerful and versatile. I would like to stream at 1080p 60FPS. My upload is 21Mbps and I have plenty of CPU power with the i7-4790K OC 4.8GHz and 8GB RAM. What are the best settings to use to enable a smooth and non-blurry image?

Many thanks

Will

I'll assume you are streaming to Twitch as you didn't mention which service you are using. If you are not partnered your best bet is to not stream at 1080p 60fps. The problem is that you need a lot of bandwidth/bitrate for a good quality 1080p60 video especially as something as fast moving as a video game. Twitch has a bandwidth cap of 3500kbps which is not enough for 1080p60. You also have the problem that as a non-partenered streamer there is no transcoding meaning viewers have to watch at the same settings as you broadcast at, most viewers can't typically watch a stream at much more than 2000kbps. The sweet spot for non-partnered streamers is 720p30 at 2000 kbps. This is a good balance between quality and giving people the ability to actually view your stream.

willowen100

Thanks for your reply; very informative and explains why my stream isn't coming out very good on Twitch. Would YouTube's 1080p 60FPS be any good or shall I try and get my Twitch channel partnered to get more bandwidth?

willowen100

Okay I tested a live stream to YouTube but I started receiving error messages saying the video wasn't coming through fast enough. On the live even I setup I set the ingestion to 1080p and ticked the 60FPS tick box and then in OBS set the output bitrate to 9000. Could someone shed some light on this please?

Will

AndehX

You can stream fine on Twitch at 1080p60, I do it all the time. Use 3500kbps. As long as you're not playing a fast racing game or something, it should look ok.
The sweet spot on Youtube is 1080p60 @ 6000kbps

willowen100

What about all the other setting within OBS? By the way I am using the multiplatform version of OBS, whereas a lot of tutorials use the Windows only version. I tested again on YouTube and this is the error message I received in the red text:-

upload_2015-11-12_20-28-49.png

I want to be able to stream Call of Duty, other FPSs, GTA V etc. and of course show off the 1080p @60FPS without the video juddering and losing quality.

Last edited:

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Without a log file its hard to tell, but it sounds like youtube did not receive all your packets. Double check your up and download speeds with a speedtest. Try with lower bitrates or do a test with the Twitch tester to see if you can really sustain 9000kbps.

willowen100

My speedtest results

. I'm currently doing server test using the Twitch tester app and will post the details soon. As for the log I will attempt another 1080p stream and upload it ASAP once the stream starts playing up.

Will

Gol D. Ace

That's the media foundation encoder pretty much dying.

Maybe try using x264 instead of VCE, NVENC or QuickSync.

Your CPU should handle streaming from the elgato fine in much better quality than with the hardware encoders.

willowen100

Okay I've switched back to x264 and set the following settings

Bitrate: 9000
Use custom size: enabled
Custom buffer size: 9000
Keyframe Interval: 2
Use CBR: enabled
CPU usage preset: medium
Profile: baseline
Tune: none

Yet again I got "Video output low" warning message.

FaHu

You can stream fine on Twitch at 1080p60, I do it all the time. Use 3500kbps. As long as you're not playing a fast racing game or something, it should look ok.
The sweet spot on Youtube is 1080p60 @ 6000kbps
If you arent partnered much people cant watch without much buffering so you should not set the bittate higher than 3000 also 1080p60fps is probably for none partnered bad too watch for most people probably set it to 1080p30fps. Or if you play fast games 72060fps is good for a stable and good watching quality on twitch

Last edited:

willowen100

YouTube however has a delay option to allow a bit of transcoding I assume, and is described as 'less buffering'. However, 1080p 60FPS still causes the low video output error. I have more than enough processing power and upload bandwidth so there must be settings I'm getting wrong in OBS.